1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doesn't want to hear the words

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Mnstn, May 19, 2006.

1. Mnstn

I decided I would come out to my friend the other day, I said I something serious to tell her and before I even could get the words out of my mouth she said that if it had anything to do with my sexuality to not tell her. She explained that another friend of hers came out as a bisexual to her and their friendship hasnt been the same. I think she is worried her friend will hit on her or something and she just does not feel comfortable around her anymore. Later the next week she said, "You know last week you said you had something to tell me." I replied with "You told me not to tell you." She said "Only if it had to do with your sexuality." I got uncomfortable, and I didn't want to make the evening awkward by coming out then so I covered it up by saying I forgot what I was going to tell her and to forget about it. She did and it hasnt come up since but I just don't know if I should just not come out to her at all because I don't want to lose her friendship or should I find another way to tell her that may make her accept me?

2. GuitarGirl1350

Alrighty. I know how you feel here, so I'm offering my two cents.

There is nothing you can do to make someone accept you. After fighting this battle untill two years ago, I know...Either they do, or they don't. But there are ways to soften the effects. What you can do is explain to her that you're still the exact same person, and this is a way for her to know you better. Tell her you have no interest in her sexually, make it known so she doesn't get kind of freaked out. Explain that you want to be a friend to her and that includes not lieing to her anymore. It will also be good for her acceptance if you tell her that you feel like you can trust her with this and that it isn't easy for you, but you do. If she turns her back on you, it just shwos the type of friend she was. It will hurt for a while, but in the end you'll be better off than pretending.

Also, did you consider that it might be her other bi friend making things awkward? Sometimes it feels really awkward for a while after coming out, but that clears up. I don't know how 'out' you are, but that was my experience in half of the cases. Also, it has prooved to strengthen friendships in my case. I hope the best for you!!

3. Mnstn

Thanks, I think I am going to back off for a while and then try to talk to her about it in a month or so. The advice on how to talk to her is good, I think I will take somewhat of that approach when I try to come out again to her later. For now, I won't fret over it.