1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

teaching the parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by yeahyeah, Nov 18, 2011.

1. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

So this happened the other day:
    My mom was listening a radio show last morning. There was a "doctor" as a guest and he was talking about sexual identity. He basically said that homosexuality does not exists and he made sort of jokes about homosexual people (He doesn't know anything about homosexuality and he even thinks that gay man want to be women and want to change everything in their bodies ¬¬) Anyway I was in the car with my mom and I wanted to told her to stop listening to that show; it was stupid and with non research information.
    What I want to say with this is that, as our parents taught us in the past about life, we need to teach them about homosexuality and everything related. Many parents (and many other people) need that. It's important that people stop having false information and prejudices.
    My mom knows I'm gay and she has been all right with that, she supports me even though she was listening all this and I don't think she needs to hear those people.
    What do you think? :slight_smile: Sorry about my english if in some parts I wrote wrong lol

2. Skiel

Skiel Guest

I think it's important to hear other people's argument no matter how crazy it is, so as long as you do not get brainwashed by their messages. I just personally like to hear everyone's opinion. If your mom is really okay wiht you being gay, then I see no problem with her listening to it. If she's not internalizing or agreeing with them, it's fine. But you should tell her that being gay is something that is natural for you. It isn't something you chose to be or something that you can change.

3. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

Oh yeah I think you are right. Listening to other's people opinions it's ok but what I want to say with this is to show them (parents) what being gay really is, right? c:

4. Vesper

For your mother, you are the greatest living argument against that idiot's bigoted point of view. She need only to hear him speak to know that he's full of crap, since she knows you far better than some medical hack does and she doesn't need him to tell her what he believes is true about gay men like her son.

#4 Vesper, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  5. Hidinginalabama

Well I think your mom could just be listing to the show to hear what some crazy people think. It doesn't look like she believes anything the guy was saying or she wouldn't be so supportive of you. But I do think your right on the other hand. We do need to teach other people about homosexualty. It something that's going to take time though.

6. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    yeah like my parents are negative about homosexuality they dont know im gay, but they will say things like its "bad blood" or that gay people are "confused". a friend of mine knows im gay and has accepted it but just yesterday my ex girlfriend and i were having lunch with him and they got into such an argument because he still has this idea that "homoseuality" is a mental illness, and as a psychology student my ex knows its not, so she was defending us. it just suck how close minded some people are...

7. MommaFrog

I think knowing what people think is important that way when someone throws that argument in your face, it's not a shock and you are better able to stay composed and have a proper response.