1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progress... finally!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by jrparch, Nov 21, 2011.

1. jrparch

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Everyone,

I can't believe it has almost been a year since I joined EC. While I haven't posted a lot, I definitely visited this forum regularly. Here is a quick recap of my situation. I joined EC when I was 30 and feeling completely confused, lost, and lonely. I did post my situation and the responses I got were invaluable in moving me along the path to self acceptance. Also, it was extremely helpful to read other people's experiences and realize I wasn't the only person who dealt with this a little bit later in life.

It took me awhile to really make some progress and to be honest, sometimes it felt like I would never move forward... but I did! I slowly but surely stopped hating myself and started to accept myself. It definitely wasn't a linear process for me. Some days I was completely fine and accepting and other days I was so far back in the closet, nobody would have been able to find me in there! However, slowly the better days started to outweigh the bad.... and I finally felt ready to tell someone.

The first person I told was actually an old friend from college, who had confessed in the past that she had had a same sex relationship. I considered her a safe person to tell and when I finally got the nerve to tell her it went completely fine. After taking this first step, I regressed for a few months but then I ended up meeting the guy I am currently dating. Suddenly everything changed.

All of the concerns and questions I had suddenly seemed to evaporate. I finally knew beyond a doubt I was gay. Finally, having a relationship felt right and not forced as it always did with women.

Even with this self realization, it took awhile for me to tell more people. I started with some other close friends (as recommended on EC) and amazingly, despite my worst fears, they were extremely supportive and happy for me.

This brings me to yesterday... I told my parents and sister. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever done. I completely broke down crying but to be honest, it couldn't have gone any better. All of my fears, worries, and concerns about how they would react were completely baseless. They accepted me with open arms and only want me to be happy! They said all the right things and they have even told many of my aunts and uncles, who all had great reactions as well!

The one thing I will say is, after having bottled all of these emotions up so tightly for so many years, that I seem to have somewhat lost control over them. I am extremely relieved and happy that I have told people but I also start to tear up, cry, and feel a host of other emotions at random. I really believe it is just the process of finally letting it all out.

Anyway, I realize this is long but I really wanted to post my experience. I am hope that reading my story helps someone as reading everyone other people's stories helped me. To be honest, I don't think any of this would have happened if I hadn't stumbled upon this website a year ago, when I was feeling so low. This website and the people who contribute really do provide amazing support and help change people's lives. So thank you!!!

2. Doctor Faustus

That's an amazing story. I'm really touched.

Well done for having come (out?) so far! Onwards and upwards!

Very best regards,

Doctor Faustus. x

3. Hidinginalabama

Thats so amazing and awesome. I'm so happy for you. Its so great when your family reacts like that. Its how my parents did to. Again so happy for you and hope things keep going just as great for you. Way to go man.:thumbsup:(!)

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome!! I'm glad that people reacted so well!! Congrats!!

5. Vesper

Your story is pretty awesome; I'm sure it will serve as an inspiration to others who are in similar situations.

May your life only get better from now on!

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations on all you've accomplished!! (!) I wish you all the best in your love life and everything else :thumbsup:

7. Aeon Magus

An utterly inspiring story. Reading this, it just makes you believe in people's willingness to understand and accept others for who they are. You've taken great steps towards coming out, first to an old friend and later on to your parents, even when you thought the worst would happen - which took a lot of courage from you. Congratulations on having achieved this milestone on your journey, of being more open with the people around you.

Hope the rest falls into place, that it just gets better from here on.

AM.

8. Noir

Haha, that would be me--crying my eyes out even if I didn't mean to. xD Congrads!! That's awesome; I'm happy for you too! :icon_bigg