1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good and not so good news

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Eli, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Eli

Eli Guest

So although I say I'm out at school, that's really only to a couple of people- maybe six or so in total. Two days ago I came out to a very good friend as trans, and her reaction was great (yay!); she couldn't care less and says she'll support me with whatever I need. Also, my actual binder arrived this week, so I can finally say goodbye to the ace bandages I've been binding with (preferably by setting them on fire). That's the good.
    The bad is that I'm apparently out to more people than I realized. A friend that I told in confidence has just been telling people whenever it "came up". He, and I, don't know who knows. He apparently thought I had a "great opportunity to be a role model", and assumed I'd be fine with being outer without even asking me if it was ok.
    One of my biggest fears surrounding coming out is safety. He doesn't get that I'm now less safe at school, because I've lost control of my coming out. As someone who was outer as gay years ago, I'm really surprised he did this to me.
    Apologies for the long post. It's been an action-packed week.

2. Cookie34

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Well done with coming out :slight_smile:
    Tell a teacher you trust immediately if someone starts, the most important thing is that your safe.
    Your friend might not of meant it in a nasty way but he still should of asked you first. Try talking to him and explain how you felt ,if he is your friend im sure he will understand what he did wrong.

3. EM68

Congrats on coming out. I can't tell where you are from. If you live in the US many states have anti-bullying laws. You may want to talk to a guidance councilor or teacher.

Not having control in coming out can be a bad and a good thing. I know the fear. I was outed by a coworker at my former job. Instead of denying it I owned up to it and was proud. I stood up to the person that outed me. My coworkers were so supportive and I opened up a dialog. I became quite close to a number of them. Let us know what happens. :slight_smile:

4. Hidinginalabama

Congrats on coming out.(!)

5. Doctor Faustus

Congrats. I'm sorry you've lost control of being outed, but if anything happens, tell us here and tell positions of authority at school whom you trust and who will support you.

Keep us posted. :slight_smile: