1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My coming out experience so far :)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Cookie34, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Cookie34

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hello :slight_smile: I have decided to share my experience. I have only told four people and they are: My nan, one of my friends at school and my parents.
    I realised i liked girls in year 8 but i did not really want to fully accept it as i thought it might of just been a phrase so i decided not to talk to anyone about it and i left it. However, it was always on my mind and in year 9 i realised that i did not find boys attractive at all and i just accepted it. I did not try to fight it or go in denial cause i knew it would not help me in the long-term. The problem i found was that there is a huge difference between accepting it yourself and telling other people and it was the second thing that i found (still find) difficult.
    I kept it inside until this year. I think i told my nan around end of July. At this point i just really wanted to tell someone. I remember it well, i was in the car with my nan and we was going to pick up my brother up from school. I told my nan to stop the car and i broke down and told my nan everything. She was really supportive and understanding except she kept telling me that it might be a phrase (which i know for sure it is not as i have known for 4-5 years). She told me to wait for a couple of months before i told my parents so i did, until last month as i had enough of keeping it inside.
    I decided last month that i wanted to tell my parents but i was unsure on how they would react. So, instead i told one of my friends at school who is like a twin sister to me. She was really understanding (like my nan) and said that if i did get kicked out i could move in with her (which i did not think i would be, but its best to have a back up plan just in case). I'm really lucky to have a amazing friend :slight_smile:
    However, after telling her i was left with a choice: should i tell my parents first or my two best friends?
    My friend (who i told) said that i should tell my parents first so i did and i will admit i felt the most nervous i had ever been in my whole life. I told my mom on the Saturday (as my dad was at work) and we was sitting at the table, as we had just finished our dinner and i just said "mom i have to tell you something, its really hard for me to tell you this as i do not want you to be disappointed in me but i'm gay".
    She was really supportive (she did not kick me out xD ) she said how she had known for about a year and she asked me if i knew if it was a phrase or not and i replied it wasn't and she was fine with it. She, even said she was going to support me when i had to tell my dad.
    On the Sunday, my mom brought it up that i had to tell him something (apparently he was asking her the night before what it was but she never told him) and i felt really nervous/scared as i was afraid he would hate me for who i am and so i just told him and he was like "so? I don't care as long as you are happy". He did joke around and tease me about the aspect of having children and i replied that i might go into adoption when i'm older. As, soon as i told both of my parents it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It felt amazing! :thumbsup:
    I know i still have a long way to go, as i have to tell my two best friends yet!
    I do fully recommend in telling your parents, even though i know it can be hard. I am really lucky to have such amazing parents and for people who are having problems telling your parents, i think the best advice i can give is never give up and never change for anyone and whatever happened's do not give up telling them.It will just take time for them to adjust (just like it took me time to accept who i was) and in time they will come to accept it. I do think it is also a good idea to tell a really close family member/friend before you tell your parents just in case they do react badly, then at least you know that you are not alone no matter what.
    Thank you for reading this :slight_smile: I hope i have helped. If you have any questions just ask :grin:

2. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Congratulations!

3. Cookie34

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thank you :slight_smile:

4. hml8

yeah congrats! :slight_smile:

5. Cookie34

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thank you :grin:

6. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well done,family are the hardest so you have the worst done,in my opinion.

7. Cookie34

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thanks :grin: But, i find telling friends much harder than telling my family as i still have not told my best friends =/

8. feverdreamt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congrats!!!

9. bardgrl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    For me, it was reasonably easy to tell my friends because theyare all such awesome people. The parents WERE the worst, but the again everyone's different. I did have one friend, however, who was super hard to tell, because I was afraid that they would judge me. So, when I told her, it took me like a minute to actually say the words. After i said it though she was like "I know. Whats the big deal?" And i was just like O.O

Btw, I am a girl too, and I have known since i was 8. :grin:

10. Cookie34

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    You've known since you was 8! wow i knew since i was 13! lol :slight_smile:
    Well, i want to tell my two best friends soon, but i do not really know how to say it too them. So, i think i may just tell them separately like how i told my parents.
    Congratulations by the way for telling your friends and family :grin: How did your family react?

Thank you feverdreamt! :slight_smile: