1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I could use...something... Anything.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by zbjj, Dec 18, 2011.

1. zbjj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My dad is a member of the American Legion and on Saturdays I hang out with him for karaoke. I have been in a bit of a funk the last couple of weeks and tonight he called me out on it. I was having trouble saying what was on my mind and he could tell that something was eating me up inside. After he said that I blurted out to him that I thought I was gay. He was surprised, but held his cool. He said he wants to talk about the issue when the two of us can be alone and he told me that he is going to keep an open mind as I try to explain to him what's going through my mind. I'm not sure why I'm posting this, but I'm wondering what sort of information I should have for him when we get together to speak in a few days or so. I'm not "certain" of my sexuality, but I"m starting to feel more sure. I feel like I came out too soon, but I don't want to take any steps backwards now. Any advice?

2. LdSlnce

LdSlnce Guest

Let him know that you're pretty sure, but not too sure. Just tell him exactly how you feel about it. That's really all you can do. Don't ever back out. It's a terrible idea that will kill you inside. I say this because I know :icon_mad:

But good luck:slight_smile:

3. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    At least it sounds like he's willing to listen to you :slight_smile:

4. Hidinginalabama

All I can say is tell him how you feel right now. It sounds like your dad is a great guy for keeping an open mind on what your going to tell him and everything. There is nuthing as coming out to soon. Coming out is when your ready for it. And to me it sounds like your ready just that you are still afraid of what he could say and there is nuthing that you really can do to get ready for that. Just keep thinking of how you feel and try to put that to words. I know it hard to do that but take your time. And if you dont feel ready when you dad want to talk then tell him you are just not ready and he should understand. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. Aeon Magus

When you can't take a step back, then you can only go forward. You told him that you thought you were gay, so when you do have your talk with him, tell him that again. You think you might be, as you're not certain yet. Reassure him that once you do figure yourself out, you will tell him.
    It doesn't need to be a rushed coming out when you're still uncertain.

6. zbjj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for the advice. I talk to my dad tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. :slight_smile:

7. zbjj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    An update: I wasn't able to talk to my dad today. He had to take his girlfriend to the hospital this afternoon. He told me he doesn't think it's anything serious, most likely an ear infection of some kind, but we have to postpone our talk until later this week. At least it gives me another day or so to gather my thoughts.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might swing by PFLAG and look at some of the print-out-able things they have available. He might not need any of them, but it might be nice to have them available if he does.

Next time, just do Diana Ross's "I'm Coming Out" at karaoke. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. zbjj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks again to everyone who's responded. I spoke with my dad today. It was awkward, but I think the conversation ended with a new level of understanding between both parties. He even gave me the name of a gay friend in case I have any questions. It was a good day. :slight_smile:

10. Zach

It was very nice of your dad to give you the name of a gay friend. :thumbsup:
    Your dad sounds awesome. I hope things keep getting better for you. (&&&)

And because of your avatar ..... I'm going to have to dig out and dust off my dvd of The Princess Bride

#10 Zach, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  11. seeksanctuary

Congrats! Sounds like it went nicely. :]