1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard was coming out for you?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Menaki-Neko, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    It got very hard for me to come out to my mom, I was crying most of the time as I told her. She kept guessing what was wrong until she guessed if I was having trouble with my sexuality. I said, "Yes, I'm bi." She said that it was okay and that she didn't think that God even meant for it to be a sin. She seemed a little upset at first, but now she said that she's fine. Coming out was hard for me, how hard was it for you?

2. Hexagon

3. confused102188

Extremely hard

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was really hard.. I don't think that it helped that I told her at 1:22am and it was the day before I went to college. (I had set a goal to come out to my mom before I went to college)

5. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    At least you made sure that you would came out before a certain time. :icon_wink

6. Hidinginalabama

It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. But when I came out to my parents I never looked back. Even though the hole time I was crying when I told them I am glad I did it. Life is much easier being out.

7. confused102188

I forgot to add that yes its extremely hard but also extremely worth it.

8. andersonh09

andersonh09 Guest

I still haven't had the guts to tell my mom, even though I know she won't care, but coming out to my super religious friend was probably one of the hardest things I've done. It was totally worth it though.

9. IanGallagher

I had planned to tell my parents over my birthday. But, I just couldn't do it. The whole time they even noticed how depressed and zoned out of it I seemed to be. It was on the tip of my tongue, I was ready to spit it out but I was always too afraid to.

When I went home the next time, the whole drive home from the airport I was silent. My parents could tell that something was obviously bothering me. But I just couldn't tell them and denied it the whole way home. That night I went into the sun room and told my mom "I'm like James Dean, Marlon Brando, Robert Downey Jr. (read up about his 20s), Alexander the Great, Billie Jo Armstrong, etc." Hoping that she would catch on. She didn't. Finally I got the courage to say "I'm bi."

Her reaction wasn't that of surprise or anything really. Just calm which really surprised me. I had expected something more than just a "oh, ok" reaction lol. My family even over-reacts when I get an A on a test. I told her again, sill no reaction. I asked her she somehow knew, she said she didn't. She also offered to tell my Dad.

It was hard, for other reasons, a while after that but things settled back into place soon after. So - difficult? Yeah. Definitely. Best decision I've made? Without a doubt.

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I don't know if I would call it hard, per se, but it's pretty scary. Right before I did it I sort of realized that there wasn't any other acceptable alternative, so I had to master my fears and get it over with. The possibility of being stuck in the closet and alone for the rest of my life was a worse fate than anything anyone else could possibly do to me.

11. Suracis

Suracis Guest

For me, it was nerve-wracking because of my parents' expectations but I felt so much better about myself after coming out. It took them a lot of time before they accepted who I am today so that's one positive thing about it! When I first told them, my father had the nerve to tell me to go see a psychologist...

12. Hexagon

Wait, Alexander the Great was bi? awesome. *named himself after someone bi*

13. Suracis

Suracis Guest

Wait... he was bi? I saw a documentary on Alexander the Great and the guy who played the role as him was hot...

14. Jessica816

I never actually sat down with my Mom and told that I'm gay..It kinda just happened over time.Not to say that it was any easier for me, when she I guess put the pieces together, I was almost ashamed to say the word Lesbian. Now my friends and co workers was rather terrifying. Over all it was a scary time and everyone had so many questions. Looking back I'm very happy that I was finally honest with myself and everyone around me. Hard, but worth it for sure!

15. IanGallagher

Yep, Alexander the Great was bisexual. Kinda of why I see the whole military "don't ask, don't tell" thing as complete bullshit. I mean, in the past we had Alexander the Great, all the Spartan Warriors, Achilles (unsure how much is myth or if it's all myth, gets jumbled), the list goes on and on -- all great military minds - all LGBT, which really rocks. But, yeah the Great guy is a fellow bi.

16. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was hard to come out to myself. To my mom, it was also hard. Not because of her reaction but because of the fear and shame I felt.

I'm not out to the people it would be really scary to tell. My dad doesn't know. I haven't told my sister either. However for me, I was pretty much outed in high school to a class so the coming out thing was forced for a while and lots of people knew without me telling them.

Coming out's hard but worth it in the end.

17. dairyuu

Coming out to my parents (a really long story, it was both at once) was incredibly hard. Coming out to my friends was hard at first, but became easier with time. Coming out's worth it without a doubt, but only if you're willing to overcome hardships on the way.

18. Fiddledeedee

Coming out to my brother was hard as he was the first person I told, although I knew he would react well. The first couple friends I told were hard to come out to as I had no practice – after that, though, it became easy to tell people and fun to come out ot my whole school. THen it got hard again with telling my mother, as I had no idea what she would say.

19. hml8

coming out was okay the only time I've cried about it was once on holiday when mum and I were drunk and she said 'don't you realise it was hard for me?' I cried cause she'd been so cool about it that I hadn't realised, I hadn't even thought about it before which is probably why it was so easy

20. Flying Squirrel

Its always hard. I tend to shake like crazy and the actually words "i'm gay" are nearly impossible to spit out every time I try to tell a new person.
    But, I have yet to regret telling anybody that I have told. On the contrary its made everything much better.