1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom ... not sure how to take this...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MommaFrog, Dec 31, 2011.

1. MommaFrog

So yesterday me and my mom were cleaning the house my grandparents are moving into. My (step-)dad, uncle, and male cousin had left a mess, then left the house to go load up furniture. My mom started complaining about the mess and how messy men are. This is the conversation once she was complaining about men...

Me: That's why I'm done with men for now
    Mom: -laughs-
    Me: You think I'm joking. I'm serious. I'm sick of men.
    Mom: -keeps laughing-
    Me: Mom, I'm dead serious. You think I'm joking. One day I'm going to introduce you to someone and say "Mom, This is my girlfriend" and you're going to freak out, but I've warned you.
    Mom: My name nothing you do anymore would surprise me

The conversation continued about how my (step-)dad would freak out about it and not be able to accept it. The conversation then slowly drifted back into "normal" things like if my daughter was still napping.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to take this... I've tried to tell her before and usually she just changes the subject...

2. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    She may just be changing the subject do to shock. My mother didn't like to talk about it at first only because of the shock. But now she can talk about whenever we like. Another reason she may be changing the subject is because of the way that you're making it sound like a joke. One more theory is that she does not have a problem with it, so she finds no need to keep to the subject.

If your pretty sure that she doesn't get it(i dropped the most obvious hints and my mom did get it, i even called a guy hot once and she didn't get it), just tell her that you need to tell her that tell her something. Just flat tell her that you're pan-sexual.

As for your step dad, depending on the relationship that you two have, it won't really matter what he thinks.

-Hulu

3. FleetFish

It sounds like she is trying to ignore the subject so it will just go away. Like if she refuses to acknowledge it, it's basically as if it wasn't so. Perhaps there is a bit of denial in there as well.

Alternatively, she may truly think it is a phase, because you've mostly dated guys, and even married/had a kid with one. So she may think you are just backlashing against males, because of your recent bad experience...?

Either way it's frustrating that she isn't taking you seriously. :/

I would say just give it time, and when you have a serious girlfriend, she can't say you didn't warn her!

4. BudderMC

Well, you warned her, and it's a good start! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think part of her reaction comes from the way all of us take serious news... it's hard to swallow and treat with the utmost seriousness unless you're outright saying it. Which is why we get those coming out stories where people we're telling have to ask multiple times because it comes out subtly. Just because the way we think it out seems so blatantly obvious to us doesn't always mean it is to the receiver, simply because it's on our minds all the time. (though, you did say it pretty flat-out)

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless something else comes of it. She didn't outright reject it, or outright avoid it, so it could've been much worse.

5. MommaFrog

I'm trying to stay positive.

I have in a serious way told her I'm attracted to women before, but she attributed it to my age this first time, being in college the second time, and my divorce the third time... it's like she has to find an excuse not to believe me... and I just feel like I need someone in my everyday life to know... and to accept me and love me for who I am

6. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, we might not always be available but we accept you and love you for who you are ^.^

(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

7. MommaFrog

Awwww Fugs!!!! That's so sweet I <3 ya'll too

I ment someone that is here, in person, in front of me, like, Where I live... no offense