1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by dairyuu, Jan 3, 2012.

1. dairyuu

I'm new here, but I just wanted to share my coming out story

Ever since I was 8 (it's a really long story I won't go into here) I had known I was gay, but never told anyone. I've always had a very active imagination, and the repression of my feelings caused nightly bad dreams and general insomnia. I'd often run to my mom in the middle of the night, terrified. Long story short, I moved, switched schools twice, and then stayed at my last school (middle school). During 8th grade, I promised myself I'd tell someone (I had accepted myself by then and was sure of what I was doing). One night, my parents had left the house and my grandparents were babysitting my sister and I. I was in my room texting my friend (she was a good friend, but not one of my best friends. she was trustworthy, though.) We were talking about crushes (and her relationship problems, I'm like her counselor) and she asks me who my crush is. I wasn't planning to come out to her yet.
    me: "well, I don't want to tell you"
    her: "oh, c'mon! please"
    me: "guess"
    her: (names a few popular pretty girls)
    me: "nope"
    her: "is it (name of guy crush, meant as a joke)?"
    me: "you're amazing! how'd you know"
    She told me that she accepted me unconditionally and that she wouldn't tell anyone. (to this day, I can't hear the text tone I had that night because it brings back the memory of being scared.) That night, I went to sleep. That was the first night in 5 years where I didn't have one bad dream.:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:
    Well, that's my coming out story. Thanks for reading!

2. Hidinginalabama

Frist of all welcome to EC. I hope you find this site as helpful as I do. And congrats on coming out to some one. I only wish that I was able to accept myself as young as you were. Again congrats you are a amazing person for doing what your doing at your age.:thumbsup:

3. dairyuu

Thanks! Actually, that was back in april. Basically everyone besides some family members and some friends know now (it was kind of a slippery-slope situation after I first came out.)

4. Sidneyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations. I hope that you're doing well with night mares now. Not having them anymore. I always like to hear that it turned out well.

5. dairyuu

Oh no. I know it sounds stupid and childish, but holding something like that in for 5 years really screws up a kid's brain, especially because I realized it almost too early (and had the spare time to think about it over and over and over). God, I feel so embarrassed talking about it! Sorry!:icon_redf

6. Sidneyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've held it in for a long time I'm 27 I just started to come out slowly this week I wish I had done it at your age my life may have been a lot better congratulations on being so brave

7. dairyuu

Thanks! really means a lot!

8. MusicMan12

This made me smile! congrats!(!)

9. Suiadan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very cool! So far the 5 friends I have told have all been really accepting. They just treat my like their gay best friend and I hate it so much XD

10. dairyuu

Really? Lol. Sometimes my friends do that too, but not to shop or anything (I'm not really feminine). Usually just for relationship advice, which I'm usually good at giving.