1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A coming out letter for trans people.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Charni, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Note: this letter is not mine. It was sent to me and I felt that it should be shared because as far as I know there aren't any trans comming out letters here. I do have his permission to share it. If you wish to use this letter you will need to change parts in it.

Dear Mum and Dad,

I am writing this letter because I thought it would be the best way to explain things to you. Before you read it, I would like you to know that I am the same person that I was before, and that I will always love you and hope you will do the same.

I'm a transsexual, which means that although I was born male, I am a woman in a man's body, and I have felt this way almost all my life. As a result, I have been very unhappy and depressed, and I've finally found the courage to do something about that. My only option is to transition into a woman, and I would very much like your support in this.

When people think of a transsexual, they automatically think of a drag queen or transvestite, but this is not accurate. Most transsexuals are unnoticed by people, and therefor do not form part of the public image of a transsexual. I hope you realise that my feelings are not unnatural or sexual in nature, but real and honest.

You may be worried that I will have a hard life, and although this may be the case, I have already had a hard life as you know. This is the opportunity I have been waiting for, and it will change my life for the better.

You may be wondering if I have taken on a new name. I am now Charni, and I have used the name online since December 2011. When you are ready to do so, I would also like you to start using female pronouns, and calling me your daughter as opposed to your son. I have been advised by other parents of transsexuals that you might feel like you've lost a son, and I know this will be hard for you.

Perhaps it would help you to see it as though you never had a son, as that is the way I feel.

I am sorry I am not the son you wanted. I have wished I wasn’t a transsexual many, many times. But wishing is only wishing. It couldn’t change it.

When you are ready, I am open to any questions you may have, and once again I hope you will be supportive of my transition.

Your Loving Daughter,
    Charni

2. DhammaGamer

A very honest and straightforward letter. I hope things go well for you. I'm still too chicken to come out yet.

3. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh I'm not even thinking of giving it to them yet.

4. Aareon

Woah this is heaps cool and helpful. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

5. Doctor Faustus

Simple and honest.

I hope things work out well.

6. stuwee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just remember somebody else on EC gave this to me but he didn't want anybody to know it was him (as far as I know).

8. LeeTheStrange95

I'm using this as a template for my own coming out letter

9. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that's confident and brave of you for deciding to that. I wish you all the best when you decide to give your letter to your loved ones. :slight_smile:

10. IDont Say Aboot

I had thought about writing a letter when I eventually come out to my parents, but I had never thought about telling them about how I'm still the same person. Even if I don't use this, it's great for ideas! And I hope all the best for whoever uses this! And whoever doesn't come to think of it...

11. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  12. FootballFan101

Thanks I might use this as a template for my own coming out letter