1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to dad...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Daisy1, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Daisy1

My dad drove me back to school this morning. When we were almost there, I said: "I haven't had a chance to tell mom yet, but the reason [my ex bf] and I broke up is because I'm pretty sure I'm gay. You guys are cool with that, right?" I'm lucky because they're quite liberal, so I wasn't too worried.

My dad's first response was "I'm sorry." But then he said he didn't quite mean that. He hugged me and said he was surprised, and sorry I would have to deal with the hardships that come with being gay. He asked if one of my best friends was my "paramour" (I wish she were, but that's another story), and then asked if I had a gf (also no). He also said he thought my sister was more likely to be gay than me.

And that was it. He said he'd tell my mom, which I'm fine with, and I asked him not to tell the rest of the family. I had this weird feeling afterwards, which I think was vulnerability from sharing such a big secret. I suspect he'll call at some point after he collects his thoughts.

2. stumble along

Congrats!

I wish I could tell my parents, though they are far from liberal
    My friends are though, so I guess its not all bad.

I don't think it would feel like vulnerability, more like a sigh of relief since that's one of the hardest parts of coming out, but I digress

Good luck!

3. Hidinginalabama

Way to go you!(!) (!) (!) I know how hard it is to tell your parents. I did it about two mounths ago and it has made life with my parents so much better. And its awesome that your dad was so accepting. Dont worry so much about the long talk that every one talks about. It will come in time trust me on this one. One day your just sitting there with your parents and three hours later the questions are still coming. Again way to go you. You took a really big step in coming out. :thumbsup:

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, I know what you mean about the strange feeling afterwards I have felt that on occassions.

5. Daisy1

Update: as expected, he just called to tell me he's cool with it and he's sure mom will be too. He's glad I felt comfortable telling him, and he says he loves me and supports me and just hopes my life isn't too hard because of it.

Love my dad!

6. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congrats! :slight_smile: I totally understand the weird feelings afterwards--the day after I told my best friend, I kept thinking, "I can't believe I told him! OMG!!!" and at one point I started crying. But ultimately, I feel more relief that I sort-of-kind-of outed myself than regret. Man, is coming out ever hard. :/ I'm really glad my parents are the liberal types, too.

7. andersonh09

andersonh09 Guest

Congrats! That's awesome that your dad is so supportive of you. I also understand that weird feelings that sometimes come afterwards, its definitely a feeling of relief to though, at least for me it is. :slight_smile:

8. Daisy1

Thank you everyone for your support! You've all been incredible since I joined EC a few months ago. If you had asked me in June, I never would have believed that I'd have made so much progress AND be so much happier.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! I'm glad to hear that your parents are accepting!!