1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing the first boyfriend / girlfriend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jim1454, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Jim1454

I haven't started a new thread in a while, but I've been thinking about this lately...

As I just posted in a thread about coming out to parents, I came out to mine about 2 months ago. Nothing has been said since. In the mean time, my relationship with my friend has continued to get stronger and stronger. I'd love to have our relationship more integrated into the rest of my life - and I think the next step might be to introduce him to my parents some time...

I'm not sure how to go about this. They don't even know that I'm seeing someone - they haven't asked and I haven't told them!

It's sort of like coming out all over again. How have other people introduced their 'partners' to their parents?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As a parent, I think it would mean alot to them.

3. InaRut

Unless they are not saying anything because they are just ignoring it?
    Best be careful, make sure the relationship is strong enough before introducing him to your parents. I'm sure it'll be fine though.

Just prepare for the worse because I don't want to have to write you a post in the future thread, "I lost my Boyfriend because my parents!" saying I told you so :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hahah

4. otc877

otc877 Guest

I would run it by him and make sure you tell him your situation going into it. He should know that it might be awkward, nothing worse than having to sit through family issues as they are worked out... so very uncomfortable

5. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never had a proper boyfriend nor a girlfriend. My parents knew most of the guys I had sex with but they didn't know I was doing that with them.

6. Zec24

I've thought about this situation too, even though I'm jumping the gun b/c I don't even have a girlfriend yet. However, here is how I'd do it (Why do I feel like OJ Simpson saying that?). I'd talk to my partner and tell them the situation as someone already pointed out, then I'd talk to my parents and ask them if they were comfortable with me bringing someone home for them to meet.

Just my suggestion, but at least you'd have all bases covered then.

7. Jim1454

Yes - I guess they'd all need to be ready in addition to me being ready. Otherwise it's a bit of a disaster waiting to happen.

I see my parents quite often, and would love to be able to have him with me when I do. Hopefully some day soon. Thanks for the advice.