1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my first person at college

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by FJ Cruiser, Jan 15, 2012.

1. FJ Cruiser

I got back to my dorm yesterday, and almost immediately afterword, I went to spend time with my boyfriend. I also spent almost the whole day today hanging out with him as well. Given how I stayed in my dorm room a fair amount last semester, my absence was noticed, and my suitemates knew I was with a special someone.

We all knew each other from high school. We started out as acquaintances, but the four of us have become friends since living together. One of them has a committed girlfriend that's at the same university as us, and the other two are very open about their relationships and girl chasing. Then there's me, the guy who stays quiet when the conversation goes to girls because he doesn't want to lead them to believe he's straight, yet he can't manage to tell any of them. They've tried to pry into my love life, not because they're intrusive, but because they all share these things with each other and want me to be in on it. All they've managed to get out of me was that yes, I did have my prospects, yes, one of them has been successful, and no, you can't meet "her" for the time being.

Anyway, I got back this evening and hung out with one of the guys (let's call him S). S is a raging hetero, but he's quite metro and comfortable with it. He was the one that tried the hardest to get the secrets out of me because he's just a very open and outgoing person. I wasn't sure what his stance on homosexuality was until he made friends with two gay guys. After that, I knew I was good to tell him.

He knew I had been hanging out with a special person, so the conversation almost immediately went to that, him asking "So do we get to meet this special girl...or guy?"
    Me: "That's up to them."
    S: "Were you successful with her or him last night?"
    Me: *Rolling my eyes* "Maybe, maybe not"

Note that he included female and male forms both times. Noticing this, I made sure to answer in a gender-ambiguous form, cluing him in.

S: "I don't know why I even try. You're obviously not going to tell us about this girl or guy. By the way, if you're gay, you can just say it. I don't care."
    Me: "I'm gay."
    S: "Really?"
    Me: "Yeah"
    S: "Cool man"
    Me: "I figured you'd be cool with it."

This all happened very quickly. I wasn't even nervous. The conversation just went onto other things pretty normally. Later, as we were walking to get something to eat:

Me: "So I guess it all makes sense why I was being so private about things."
    S: "Wait, so you were serious just then?"
    Me: "What did you think I was doing?"
    S: "I thought you just had a dry sense of humor today."

So we hung out the entire evening, talking about my being gay among other things, some very funny comments coming from both me and him.
    Me: "Yeah, even I attempted to have a crush on her."
    Me: "Does it make more sense why I have said more than once that even gay guys can like boobs?"
    S: "Dammit, how were you able get someone before me? This is like a game of roulette where you bet on a number and I bet on a whole color and you still win."
    S: "If our suite was put in a lineup, people would think I was the gay one 100% of the time. So much for stereotypes."

All this is to say it was very successful and I think out friendship will be better for it. Thanks for all your support, EC! Hopefully this is the start to me being out and comfortable in college.

2. Jerseyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats! =] Thats awesome how he was so chill about it, so are you gunna tell your other suitemates now too or do they already know?

3. thevedman

That's great news man! Congrats! I think your mates sounds like great blokes, I'm sure they'll be fine with it! Also congrats on finding yourself someone :icon_wink

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I love the last thing that your friend said haha

Congrats on finally going for it!! :slight_smile:

5. Artemicion

Hahahaha, your friend's roulette example is just hilarious! Congrats!

6. hml8

congrats! He sounds cool. Hopefully the other guys you're living with will be too! :grin:

7. AHHHHHHHHH that was a cute story =]. I'm glad it went so well with you.

8. Bedroom Hymns

9. anonomous teen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thats awesome dude, i could never just be that open about my sexuality. Glad you were able to find someone to confide in

10. nate16

Cool! Congrats on coming out!!!

11. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Super snazzy, #4! :grin:

12. FJ Cruiser

They don't know yet. We discussed it, and I know my roommate wouldn't care at all, but the other suitemate, though he claims to be open minded, would probably be weirded out. It'll be interesting when I tell him because he's the one I hang out with the most.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  14. Sadepeura

Congratulations! :slight_smile: It's great that it went so well, and also I'm a fan of the genderneutral way your friend asked you about your boyfriend. Yay, for coming out!

15. Doctor Faustus

Well done, well done!

Many congrats! Onwards, upwards and outwards (?) I guess!

x

16. steel03

Nice job! I'm glad it went well. Pretty much how it went when I told my roommate, haha. "So.... I'm gay." "Really?" "Yeah..." "Okay, cool."

17. javgier

XD your convo makes me laugh!!! you made it seem like it was so easy O.e HOWwww1!!!!!!