1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out ... Nothing changes

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Curly, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Curly

I don't know if I can really consider what I did officially “coming out”. I am pretty sure I am a lesbian now, though I’m not completely closed to the idea of being bi (I think pretty unlikely but who knows I guess… I thought I was completely straight for 20 years…).

I told one of my best friends and I was so nervous I didn’t even lead it up with any explanation. I just pointed to myself and said “I’m gay”. It was a total anticlimax and probably the best thing I could hope to hear from anyone. All she said was “Oh ok and how you feel about that”. It felt so good and I am relieved because she assured me that nothing changes.

Before telling her, I had already decided I wasn’t going to announce it to the world because I feel like at this point it’s really no one’s business. I just continue with my steady and slightly boring life, career, school and whatever. If anyone asks, I think I’ll be ok with telling them (most people won’t come straight out and ask anyway), but I am comfortable right now with my private life being private. I guess I’ll do whatever I want to do, and it is oddly liberating. :thumbsup:

As for the parents … well I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it. (… Completely terrified)

Thanks EC!

2. Hidinginalabama

Congrats and way to go you. You have taken a very big step in your life. And as for your parents its scary as hell but so worth it in the end.:thumbsup:

3. Curly

I was rethinking maybe my logic is flawed. I said I was comfortable right now with my private life being private. But, does it sound like I am ashamed of who I am?

I want to live an open life, but does that mean I have to announce it? Or is it easier to live openly if I do tell the people around me instead of letting them suspect and guess?

I have no intention of telling my parents, but they are not in Canada and all their Canadian friends are in Vancouver. So, I don't have to worry too much about them finding out (... not yet).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?