1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I took a big step yesterday

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by jimL, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jimL

So about four months ago my counselor told me about this mens group that gets together once a month to have a pot luck. She gave me the email of the guy that puts these together and I got on the email list. Well, the first one came around and I was just too scarred to go. The second one came around and I was at a funeral. The third one came around and I made up some sort of excuse about not feeling good, mostly because I made myself sick think about going.

So yesterday was the next one. I decided I was going no matter what....I needed to take the plunge. I stopped at the store and got something to contribute to the meal. When I got to the house where the pot luck was being held I drove right by. Got to the end of the block turned around and drove by again. I almost kept going, but I told myself to get a grip and just go in, after all I could leave at any time if I felt uncomfortable. So I went in. It was one of the most amazing evenings I've ever had. To be in a room with 25 gay men. It was an amazing feeling. I've never been around so many gay guys, ever! They made me feel so comfortable. I had some incredible conservations with these guys. I was even invited to join a gay mens choir. What an interesting thought! I've been told I have a nice voice. I've been think about that a lot. Wish I could sing better. Haha.

Anyhoo! It was just an amazing time and I wanted to share it with you. Thanks for reading.

2. Tiptape

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congratulations! :slight_smile:

I wish I were as brave as you. I'm not ashamed of being bi, but I don't want it to be public knowledge as of now, and hence, I tend to shy away from these kind of gatherings. From what you described, it sounded lovely, and I'm pleased for you. :slight_smile:

3. Vesper

It's great to hear that you decided to go despite your fears, and had a wonderful time. Sometimes all that's really needed to overcome something is to do just enough to get over the "hump" to the other side, but it's so inexplicably difficult though the effort that's needed is so small.

I wish I had the same courage. I went to my city's LGBT community center once and talked to someone who told me about all these groups that she thought I'd be interested in, like a group for LGBT people of color (I'm Asian). Like you did before, I had many opportunities to attend this group, but out of fear or intimidation at meeting new people, I never have. I just kept making excuses to myself: it's too far away to drive, I have to study more, I need to go grocery shopping, etc. None of these excuses were more than rationalizations, of course.

#3 Vesper, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! Taking that step and going to a group is really hard. I remember the first time I went to a meeting. I was honestly pacing back in forth in my room trying to prepare myself mentally. I finally found the strength and went. It was the most fun that I had had in a long time. I also made many new friends.

I hope that things continue to go well for you!!

5. oneday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome! Congratulations! I haven't taken that step yet, so that was very courageous of you!

6. 55

Awesome!! :eusa_clap That had feel so great to be able to be completely yourself! I can't wait to get to that point too!

7. Jim1454

Congratulations Jim! That's awesome.

It's always the things we want to do the least that are the things we need to do the most. That pot luck was what you really needed. I remember how liberating it used to feel to go downtown to the 'gay village' in Toronto and be surrounded by people just like me. It's awesome.

You're an inspiration to others. Keep it up!