1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just emailed my brother about being gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Tesco, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Tesco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sent him this, feels good :slight_smile:

Hi XXX,

Sorry to interrupt your trip experience with this, but I wanted to write and let you know something about myself that I feel I’m ready to share with you. I would have preferred to tell you this in person, but I definitely wanted to say it before I lost the considerable courage it takes me to share with you: I’m gay.

I’m not sure how much of a shock this is or isn’t, but I definitely wanted to tell you before I make this more public. Really, this doesn’t change anything about me. I still walk around in my underwear, play too many videogames, think up weird business ideas, etc. All that changes is you knowing I’m attracted to boys.

I whole-heartedly believe you will be okay with this, and won’t think any differently about me. To be honest though, I did have some doubts in the past from seemingly negative comments you’ve made about gay-related stuff. I doubt you truly meant anything to be hurtful (and I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t even remember saying the things I refer to) but it did affect how comfortable I was with myself, so I wanted to let you know. That said, if you have any actual concerns, I definitely want to hear what you have to say and talk about them with you.

Just so you know, Mom and Dad have known since this summer (I actually ended up telling them in the midst of our fight on the way home from San Diego, so it’s a good thing I went home. Now Natalie doesn’t have to feel bad :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), and I am telling Kevin simultaneously via a separate email. Other than that, only a few friends have really known. This has honestly been something I have known about myself and have struggled with since my early teenage years, and I will continue to struggle with it to some degree as well. Sharing with Mom and Dad and having them accept it completely, though, was very important to becoming comfortable with myself, and I hope sharing with you will have the same effect.

I’m very happy and thankful to have you as a brother, and am really glad we’ve started to become closer recently. Being able to be vulnerable with people you trust, I believe, is what defines a meaningful relationship. I know it’s hard for both of us to share things and talk about ourselves, but I definitely want to reach a point where that is easy for both of us to do so. That’s what matters, and I hope this is a good start.

Anyways, I’d be happy to talk about this or whatever with you whenever you want—phone text email, however you like. I hope you have a great rest of your trip, and I’m excited (as well as a little nervous) to hear from you. Love you.

-XXX

2. toremi

toremi Guest

That's really one of the best letters I have read. Very straight to the point and very confident.

I wish me and my brothers has this sort of relationship so I would be able to share with them! Best of luck with everything!

Cheers

3. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    absolutely brilliant :slight_smile: congrats, ive yet to come out to my twin sister.

4. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

bro, great letter. can i use this to my brother(s) and change san diego to rhode island??!?!

5. cscipio

Excellent!

6. Tracker57

Great letter, Tesco. This takes a lot of bravery. Hang in there. We all can do it–eventually. Let's us know how your brother reacts. If it is half as good as it appears he would, this will go great.

Tracker

PS: thanks for your encouraging words to me.

7. Tesco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ya, sunsetting definitely you can if it helps! Thanks for the encouragement guys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Curly

Hey CONGRATULATIONS!
    I wrote a really similar email to my brother. It was a little hard on him, but he told me that email was probably the best method for him. He said that in person, he wouldn't know what to do and that at least in an email he could read it a couple times to take it in and compose his thoughts. I hope he supports you as much as my brother has. :eusa_clap

PS: It contributed to my early heart attack when I didn't get a reply right away :icon_redf

#8 Curly, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  9. Hidinginalabama

Hey way to go man. I know how it is coming out to your brother. I have a twin so I know how you feel. And congrats on telling him. Its not something that is easy but its worth it in the end. Again congrats on taking a really big step in your life.

10. EM68

Congrats on telling your brother. That is a great letter. Let us know what happens.

11. Alex19

ooooo i wanna know what he said!

12. thevedman

Awesome! Well done man, you should feel really proud of yourself!

13. Tesco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Response from bro 1:
    Hi XXX,

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I wish that it could have been in person too. I love you no matter who you are or what your sexual orientation is and to be honest, this news isn't a total surprise to me even though no one has ever intimated it to me. I'm also so glad that we have gotten closer recently and cant wait to talk more when I get home. You are so special to me no matter what and I'm really happy for you that you are feeling comfortable sharing this. Do you want me to keep this to myself for now, or is it ok for me to share with others?

I love you and am very proud of you!

Talk to you soon,
    XXX

Response from bro 2 (sent him a derivative of a similar email)

Hi XXX,

I cried a little when I read your email, I am just really happy that you are coming out like this. Of course I love you so much and this changes nothing about anything at all. I'm glad we live in a world where your sexuality will hopefully not hold you back from any opportunities you wish to pursue, and in fact now that you are an adult, I hope it is something that will brings you happiness and a fulfilling life. All of my gay friends are wonderful people, I have no doubt you will turn out to be the same. Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss with me, I have no concerns, just an abundance of confidence you are going to be happy and successful in the future. All the dumb questions like, politics and boyfriends can wait until the next time I am standing over your shoulder watching you play War3 in the dinning room :slight_smile:

Lots of love,
    XXX

Pretty awesome responses :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow that's great, I'm really happy for you. That has to be a major relief :thumbsup:

15. dairyuu

Good job! I wish I was as courageous as that :eusa_clap

16. duriru

Congrats! I'm glad everything went great :slight_smile:

17. Tracker57

Wow! What loving responses! I am so happy that your family is so accepting--especially your brothers.

Tracker

18. EM68

Nice responces from your brothers. Congrats!!

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome!!! Congrats!!

20. jimL

You are one lucky dude to have such loving brothers. Congratulations.