1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustration

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Hollywood, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Hollywood

I know that we've already discussed conservative right-wing relatives to death, but I got SO ANGRY at my family last night at my Grandmother's for christmas. After eight bottles of wine had been consumed (only 12 people were drinking...you do the math) a debate about politics ensued. My ignorant fat bitch of a cousin informed that that all people without healthcare should go back to mexico. Of course, the fact that my white, not mexican, best friend in the world's family is teetering on bankrupcy and can't afford healh insurance can't encroach through her thick head. And then my uncle talked about how we need a good, christian president who would make decisions based on his beliefs. When I argued that a president makes decisions based on what is best for his people not what is best in his own interests, he said thats not the way the world works.

And it got me to thinking, you know, he's right. And it makes me so angry.

Why the hell are we forced to lay awake at night, sobbing because we can't meet the expectations of our family and friends in regards to sexuality? Why do we resort to cutting ourselves because we have nowehere else to turn but self-mutilitation in our despaire? Why does society feel the need to constantly breate, judge, and gawk at the fact that we aren't straight, pushing thousands upon thousands of us into suicide mode every year?

Why the hell is tolerance rejected int he name of religion? How dare our leaders have the audacity to govern in the best interests of their religion then the best interests if the 55 million people in America? George Bush tried to push a CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT through banning gay marriage, for christ's sake!

How dare we be forced to feel these things when we have no control over the way we are born.

2. I agree with you. Which is why I've given up. If we aren't socially acceptable, then fine. I'll go back to pretending if it gets those who are against us to shut the hell up about it.

#2 Midnight Angel, Dec 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2007
  3. Ty

Ty Guest

Everything you've said is what I wonder every day.
    Ive cut before
    Ive cried myself to sleep some nights
    And luckily I havent been pushed to suicide mode yet.

Maybe one day everyone will be equal. And relgion won't dominate the masses.
    But could you ever see that happening?

4. Quitex

Quitex Guest

I hope someday we can all be equal to everyone.... No need to be hiding or to be protected behind stupid arguments....
    I can dream, can't I?

5. panda

Be patient.You are in the forefront of a revolution.Ellen has her own talk show.Will and Grace were a huge hit with their TV show.The L word TV show.Queer Nation.All this stuff is happening in your lifetime.TODAY! And you are part of it.A soldier in the battle for common sense.Of course it's tuff but you, with your pain and fortitude,are going to make it easier for the people who follow you.Think of yourself as the Abraham Lincoln of the Gay Tide.
    :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

6. Cheese Love

Everything you said is hitting pretty close to home..

But, on the bright side, Panda is right. We've seen some changes, even a presidential one, in our favor... such as Clinton's Don't Ask Don't Tell. While the policy is still a nuisance, gays and lesbians couldn't serve in the military at all before it.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Things are moving in the right direction....

Until 40 years ago in the UK gay sex was ILLEGAL. It was legalised with an age of consent of 21 (compared to 16 for straight) in 1967, and that legislation was very restrictive. When I left school at 16 in 1980 nothing much had changed. In fact the conservative government had made things worse with some clauses in the education laws that prohibited schools from saying anything positive about homosexuality. Gays were also banned from the military, and we had no partnership rights, discrimination rights or anything.

In the following 27 years that education clause has been overturned, the age of consent was reduced to 18 and then 16, a lot of descrimination laws have been introduced to our benefit, and we have something close to (but not quite) gay marriage. Also public opinion is much more in our favour now, thanks in part to positive gay characters being included in TV soap operas and drama shows, and due to laws that prevent the press publishing homophobic stories (in the same way as they cannot publish racist or sexist stories).

Sure, 27 years is a LONG time (like about one third of a lifetime), and we would all really like things to happen quicker. If things are changed too quickly there is the risk of the general (straight) public being left behind and turning against it.

Legally we are closer to equal than we have ever been before. Society still has to catch up, but it will happen over time.

Be grateful you are not living in Iran, where they hang teenagers for having gay sex. That is religious law taken to extremes.

Of course this is the benefit of hindsight, and I'm sure when you look back on now in 20 years time things will be vastly better again.

None of that helps when faced with relatives with right-wing and religious views that make them unlikely to accept homosexuality. Sometimes you just have to just tolerate it and look forward to getting out of there. Maybe next year you can find a reason not to be there.

There is a saying that you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family. You can also, in due course, choose where you want to live. Get an education, get a job, save your money and move to somewhere more accepting as soon as you can. Sure, it's easy said like that - but it is something to aim for.