1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out to My Best Friend!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by jsoccer009, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jsoccer009

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess I'll start by saying I started coming out the summer before 11th grade (I'm now a junior in college). I came out to a few people in high school, but basically stopped because of a few things.

I lost contact with most high school friends since I'm rarely home and the normal drifting, but there is one friend that I speak to everyday and still do. When I started coming out, she came up as an obvious person to tell. I had no clue how she would take it. She has said stuff about being gay, even written a paper on how gay marriage was completely wrong (I had to proof read it...) so on one hand I didn't want a bad reaction but I also didn't want to lose her since we have been friends since 1st grade. So I never told her.

It's my third year in college and I have the most amazing group of friends. They are completely supportive of everything and I am back and we have all been through so much together. Even though I've only been in college three years, I am graduating a year early and getting my master's degree next year. I applied for graduation this past friday. Also on friday I got a text from a friend that a friend from high school was saying hi (they go to college far away and the person that texted me didn't go to high school with me)

Anyways, I think I just realized that I am really moving forward in life. I am hardly home and no longer in high school so I don't have to worry about those people. But also I realized no matter how far I try to go, my life always seems to follow with my high school friend saying hi and shouldn't just try to run (from my high school I probably went to the 2nd farthest college). I have an amazing set of friends here that I know will be here for me no matter what. Even though part of me was nervous beyond words I just realized that part of me was hidden from her for so long and didn't want that anymore. We have been friends for 15 years so obviously I didn't want a bad reaction, but I realized if she couldn't see me for me after so long then maybe it wasn't what I thought.

Friday night I texted her and finally told her. At first she didn't know if I was saying I was, but then she explained it was because she never suspected or thought I'd tell her that (my friends are confused how she had no clue :dry: lol) I explained why I didn't tell her earlier, since I didn't want to lose her. I also told her a little about the rough times I had in high school with just hiding myself.

The best or worst part was finally thanking her for saving my life. I tried to kill myself the summer I started coming out due to a bad reaction from my sister and some other things. Basically, feeling like no one was around I tried, but she texted me to see how I was. Something about her texting me at the right moment made me stop and I never thought I would be able to thank her. I finally was able to.

She told me how much she loved me. Even though she never suspected it she kept saying we were best friends because of everything we had gone through, laughed through, experienced together and who I liked wouldn't change that.

I honestly never thought I would tell her and finally did I can not explain how relieved and happy I am :eusa_danc :icon_bigg

2. Marlowe

Congrats. This is a really awesome story about finding the courage to tell someone when there is a lot on the line and your friend rising to the occasion. This has been an inspiration for me to maybe tell some people from my high school life, since you're right, we can't really separate ourselves from our past. I'm so happy for you.

3. Congratulations on everything, from your relationships to your educational success. I do have a question, though. Have her opinions (concerning same-sex marriage) "evolved" since you've came out to her?

4. jsoccer009

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Her views didn't change just because I came out, but her views have been changing since our senior year in high school which is why I partially felt better about telling her now.

We haven't discussed anything directly like gay marriage, but she doesn't have any problem with me and we still talk every day since! :icon_bigg