1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by stephaniko, Feb 14, 2012.

1. stephaniko

so as far as my bigender identity I'm only out to my boyfriend and a couple of friends, but I am fully out as bisexual.

Coming out to my mother was the easiest because she had a couple of girlfriends herself and she had raised me in a very excepting environment and I consider myself incredibly blessed to be given that sort acceptance growing up. I had actually asked to go see my best friend (closet girlfriend) and she looked at me with a straight face and asked "is she your girlfriend?" and I said yes and she said she always sort of knew. The rest of my family on my mom's side felt the same way.

My grandmother (on my fathers side)also figured it out on her own but she had a much more violent hysterical reaction to it. She wrote me a letter about how she wouldn't let me be gay in your house and how it was just a phase and I needed to start attending church. she cried and screamed and made me read the letter out loud. I was forbidden from seeing or talking to my girlfriend. (i was living with my grandmother part time) it was horrible. things are a little better between us now but there is still a lot of resentment towards me. She expected me to grow out of it and I never did, she wanted me to get married to a nice young man and have the typical cookie cutter life but I'm not interested in that. I'm pretty scared to find out how she will react if i tell her I am bigender.

2. dreamcatcher

Well, I am glad to hear that your mom is so accepting. Have you told her that you're bigender? If she's that supportive, I'm sure she will take it well. Do you still live with your grandma? If it's important for you to tell her, then you should do so carefully. I think being bigender is a concept a lot of people aren't familiar with, especially people from the older generations. So education is key when telling your grandmother. If you feel ready, then go on ahead and tell her. If not, then just wait until you feel ready to do so.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. stephaniko

no I no longer live with my grandma and I havent come out to any of my family yet