1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out on the internet. good idea or not.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by needshelp, Feb 15, 2012.

1. needshelp

i'm thinking about coming out to some of the other web forums that i frequent. is it a start in the right direction?

2. dreamcatcher

Yeah go for it! It will seriously be a good stepping stone for coming out in the real world. Going from completely closeted to telling people in person that you're gay is super hard, especially if you still have a lot of internalized homophobia. Telling people on a web forum will give you the practice to be able to come out to people in person. And if it goes well, then you may get some more confidence in yourself and finally be able to come out to those close to you. So yeah, I say definitely do it.

3. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

Yeah, I think it is a great idea. That is how I first started coming out. Coming out online is a lot easier. As dreamcatcher said, it will give you the confidence to come out to people that are close to you :slight_smile: It is a step in the right direction.

4. yah I came out first on myspace, my facebook has it on there as well but the only time people will see it is if they read my info. Once I'm out to my parents I going to post it as my facebook status that I'm out and proud and anyone I may have left out of the loop will definetly see then and they can confront me in person or on the web...i think it makes it easier, just come out to those close to you in person first

5. anonomous teen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    wow, congrats. I have thought about coming out on tacebook, but dnt think i could handle the whole 'Dude, has ur account been hacked???'. Cus really, no one would even consider that i could be.

6. Mogenar

Well, there are pros and cons to coming out on the internet.

On a whole, you're more likely to be accepted, because people on the internet aren't as likely to say they're against the LGBT community due to pressure to conform to society, due as a result of the mask of anonymity they "get" with their internet persona. In addition, you can still remain relatively anonymous if you're not ready for the people you know in real life to know yet. So, it is, in a way, more secure. However, you might also just as likely get trolled (not here, though, thank whatever deity you believe in or other higher power). Also, you might wish to use a different username than your regular one (as I had when signing up to Empty Closets) so that people don't realize that someone they've known for a long time is someone they might not want to interact with, unless you're rady to face that. For instance, I have 80 friends on Steam and 57 on Xbox Live, but I also use a different username. I'm going to come out very soon, though. I just think that in any case, be careful who you tell, though I'm not saying you should hide in fear. There's always someone willing to accept you for who you are, you know. I am.

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. Bedroom Hymns

The first place where I came out was a Lady Gaga forum :lol:. And it did quite help, actually.