1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Coming out" to my mother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Christiaan, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I don't think that it was actually a coming out really. She had been badgering me since I was 14 years old to curb some of my effeminate mannerisms.

I had been on the phone with my boyfriend at the time, and she had apparently overheard. By this time, I had dropped my pitch to a sultry, seductive baritone, and we were really getting into a mood. Out of the blue, my mother knocked on my door, and she asked to come in. I said into the phone, "just a minute, honey," and I put my boyfriend on hold. "Come in," I said.

Instead, she just opened the door and stood there looking awkward and anxious, and she said, in a small voice, "[my name], I have been sort of meaning to ask..." her eyes darted back and forth guiltily. "...Are you gay?"

Now, I had had a rough week, and I was annoyed over being interrupted. Otherwise, I would not have actually been so frank, and I would probably still be nominally (though I can assure you not in fact) in the closet. In mature retrospect, I was probably a little nasty on this occasion, considering the circumstances and the fact that she was sort of reaching out to me here. Anyway, I copped an offended, feminine air, knowing it would grate on her. "Yes, Mom," I said archly. "I am gay, and [his name] is my boyfriend." I cocked my head. "We were kind of on the phone and having a..." I paused and raised my eyebrows meaningfully. "...private conversation?"

She was more respectful of my privacy after that.

Win.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2012 at 10:54 AM ----------

By the way, I think I was about 21 at the time.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, a coming out is a coming out! :slight_smile: Even though you feel that your mom disrespected your privacy, which it doesn't sound like that it was her intention, I think it is great that she reached out to you. A lot of teens/youths don't have a mom or parents for that matter, who *actually* try to reach out. Having that support can come in handy....

3. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Oh, that's just how I felt at the time. Retrospectively, I think I acted like an ass, though I acknowledge that it was momentarily extremely satisfying. At the time, my thoughts on it were, "WIN!"

My relations with my parents were strained then. Thanks to my snuggle-bunny, who forced me to to start calling and writing them again, our relationship now is almost textbook.