1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just a phase

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by litt, Mar 10, 2012.

1. litt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In talking to my best friend earlier this week, I tell her that I may be bi, her response is oh I think its just a phase. I think that I am more frustrated with myself than with her. I am frustrated because she is the only girl that is not my sister I tell anything to. I don't know that I want to tell my sisters about this stuff at the moment.

2. Hidinginalabama

It's not easy hearing things like that from people you really trust or think highly of but it's a part of coming out. There will be people that don't believe you and ones that hate you for it but in the end it is all worth it to be true to your self and other around you. Take your time and do what you think is right. Always remember you are the only one that can make you truly happy.

3. JRNagoya

Sorry about your friend's response. I can understand the frustration. The whole 'just a phase' thing really irks me, but then I am reminded of the following photograph:

[​IMG]

If that's the case, then my 'phase' is 34 years and nine months long. Maybe I'll grow out of it one of these days. (We really need tags for sarcasm - [SARCASM][/SARCASM])

4. litt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  5. greeneyes

I've gotten this response too, especially because of our age haha. In one situation, I felt like that was just her initial response and it had to sink in (which I understand because my first statement back to something serious may not be what I really mean either). In another situation I feel like a couple years just need to go by and he'll see it's not and he'll accept it. I'm in college so that's a pretty standard response I hear. I wouldn't let it throw your own confidence.

6. cscipio

Awesome pic, JRNagoya!

7. stupidIvan

I've gotten that response from my mom many times when I talk to her about my gender dysphoria, she still sort of refuses to believe me. Honestly, I don't blame her. You bisxuality may JUST be a phase. However, if you're so unrestful about it, it probably isn't. There are girls who go through phases in which they are curious of the female form, and they label themselves as bisexual, which makes it harder for people who actually feel that way. I only say that to give you a perspective on where your friend is coming from. For people who don't get what you're feeling, it may be hard to understand because it's so easy to doubt.

I, personally, blame stereotyping, ha ha. :::: ) Remember, only you know who you are.

Edit: Gah! I just noticed I'm the youngest poster in this thread!

8. litt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know I'm so old right lol. sigh. no.

9. King

King Guest

I've gotten this response, too. It truly is annoying - my ex-friends parents said, "Oh, by the way, we think this is a phase."
    I was like "BITCHPLEASE" because honestly, who were they to say that? You have to just keep that in mind. Only you know yourself (and even if you don't, you're the only one who can find out who you are).

10. litt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    that is so true. I think repressing the way I really feel about people in general has caused me great anxiety. Just realizing the fact that I have always felt this way is relieving. I am glad I came here, I do feel like I am growing as a person by doing this. Being honest with myself is a great feeling.

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you're 25, I think you're past "phases" as far that goes.

12. Harlequin

Yeah, I've gotten that response as well. The thing is, how can other people presume to know more about you than you yourself do? They might think they have superior experience, but only you are inside your own head.

The thing I'm worried about is, to some people, is it just a phase? Do people "experiment" and then decide that isn't for them? That could severely undermine credibility. However, if I get that response (from anyone other than my parents) I just look them in the eye and say "Really? Well, check back with me in a few years." and walk away.

13. b0i70y

When people are teenagers and their bodies are going through hormonal changes, many do go through a, "phase," where they are attracted to those of the same sex. I dated a guy for two years who turned out to be straight - who knew?

If you're over twenty, though, the only way you could go through a, "phase," is a mid-life crisis. Or rebellion issues.

14. litt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I tend to be rebellious, and am having difficulty in other relationships in my life