1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Drunk

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by greeneyes, Mar 10, 2012.

1. greeneyes

So a couple weeks ago I accidentally outed myself.

I had a ton of alcohol, but I was completely conscious of all of this (I've never blacked out and remember everything, it's just it was a long time ago so I don't remember the specific words).

I was incredibly drunk, and there was this really cute guy there, but also there was a girl I had a serious crush on last year. That crush was what really triggered me to consider my sexuality.

Anyways, I went downstairs in a party to follow the guy but found the girl there. I was chatting with her about how cute the guy was, and then she was like (something along the lines of) I'll kiss you or get lipstick on your cheek or something. Honestly my memory was a bit fogging. By there was some kissing idea said. It was not at all romantic and purely platonic. Then I said something along the lines of well I can't because I don't want to give him the wrong idea because I'm bi.

And then I started walking away (semi-following him back up the stairs) and she was like "you're bi?!" loudly. I don't know if anyone else heard either her or my comment, but it worried me.

Sorry I don't like long posts but there's a little more left! So I decided to be mature about this situation and ask her to go to lunch with me to talk about it. She had to cancel the lunch, but I saw her before, and said that I wanted to catch up with her because I hadn't seen her in a while (outside the party situation) and also wanted to talk about something I said drunkenly and make sure she was okay. She was like, "what did you say?" she then said she doesn't remember and was really drunk herself.

I don't really know what to do next, and I don't know how I feel about telling her now, and I'm not sure if I outed myself to more people. I'm at a point where I've had a lot of bad situations outing myself, not because of bad reactions but because I don't think with some of the people I have been ready (and they are not that close to me). Thoughts?

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I think you should just leave it. If you can't remember exactly what was said then she definitely didn't remember it. She could have thought you were just joking, or maybe she didn't even hear you actually say it very well and she thought you said 'Bi' but it sounded like something else, you know? That happens all the time at parties, because you can't hear people very well over everyone else and the music, but I have no idea how relevant that is. And, assuming she did hear you, it sounds like she just wants to move on anyway.

Even if you were outed to a bunch of randoms at a party, they don't really matter. They're not your best friends, they're not anyone important in your life. So who really cares what they think? I'm not saying this because of your situation specifically, but when things are really ambiguous like this, I feel like it's better to just pretend that everyone knows you're LGB and then proceed from there.

3. greeneyes

Clarification though - I'm not out in public, and I don't want to be yet since I'm not 100% sure.