1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by DMark69, Mar 12, 2012.

1. DMark69

I visited my parents over Christmas with the intent of coming out to them.
    I was already 41 years old, and was in a serious relationship with a man who has since become
    my husband, we officially married in Iowa last October. It was a very stressful trip. My boyfriend
    did not come with me, and was having a crisis texting me continuously because he was worried about
    my family's reaction. The stress of coming out added to the stress of my boyfriend worrying was
    almost unbearable.
    The first person in my family I came out to was my brother. I asked him to come walk my dog with me.
    We made 3 laps around my parents 7 acre property before I worked up the nerve to come out to him. He was
    very supportive. The relief I felt from having come out and my brother being supportive was amazing.
    I had heard talk before about the great weight being lifted, and I never imagined it would feel that good.
    I came out to my father a few days later on the same trip. He also was supportive, and my entire family
    has since treated us like a normal married couple. I feel very lucky.

2. cscipio

Welcome to EC!

Good for you. It's nice to hear that your family is supportive of you. Congrats on getting married.

3. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations on marriage! :slight_smile: And lucky you. ^_^

4. TheAMan

That's great news! Congrats!