1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to parents, Dad taking it terribly.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Travis, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Travis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there. I'm 22, live with my parents (trying to move out in the summer) and have known that I was gay since I was 14 or 15. In highschool and college all of my friends knew and nobody ever cared, but I was always scared of how my parents would react even though I figured they knew and were just in denial. My dad is generally a bad person. He might love me, but he's also the most racist, ignorant, awful person that I know. He's cheated on my mom, he has anger problems and has punched holes in walls over fights we've had, and it was only the past couple of years that things between me and him have been pretty okay.

So I've never really had gay friends before because I didn't want my parents to find out about them, and at the same time I couldn't lie to them about it. I decided to choose my parents over friendships and relationships, because I knew if I could come out and say "I'm gay, but I haven't kept anything else from you" that I'd feel better about it. Unfortunately it took me until a few days ago to have the courage to do it. I came out to them on the 16th.

The reason that I did it is that I finally met a guy a few months ago. We met as friends at first, and he immediately introduced me to his friends, who were also gay. They all seemed to like me a lot, and I for once felt like I was in a place where I belonged. Being gay never mattered to me before because I was afraid of it, but after meeting those people I wanted to embrace it. I'm still the same person I always was, of course, but now I realize how important my sexuality actually is. I had a little thing with the guy and things didn't work out, so now I'm not really speaking to those gay friends anymore since he was the link that tied us together and I can't be his friend right now. I got a taste of what my life could be like though, hanging out with people who really GOT me on a level that a lot of other people couldn't. And I also found out how it was to be romantic with somebody. I saw how happy I COULD be, and I realized that if I wanted to live my life to the fullest my parents needed to know I was gay.

So even though I was dealing with the pain of this "breakup" (I don't know what else to refer to it as, we weren't really dating but he did treat me like a boyfriend for a little while) I felt more mentally prepared to come out to my parents than I ever have. So the other day I sat down with my mother and told her I didn't like girls. She took it pretty well, no tears, because she realized there was nothing she could do about it and she always knew deep down. My dad came home right after I told her, so I figured I might as well tell him too. The look on his face was a mix of disgust and disappointment, and he kept saying he didn't understand how a guy could be interested in another guy when women are so beautiful. I've tried to explain to him that I like guys the same way women like guys, and I don't need to be with a woman to know that, just like he doesn't need to be with a man to know that he's straight, but he simply doesn't get it. Either way, they took it pretty well, initially.

I guess a day after we had the conversation everything sunk in. The next day my mother came to me in tears telling me my father hadn't slept well the night before and that he was actually crying about it. She told me all of these awful things he was saying, which included "I'm glad my side of the family is dead so they don't find out" "If he were a girl I could understand it better." "I feel like I've been robbed of grandchildren" "Nothing ever goes right in my life" "It's disgusting" "It's not normal" "It's not right" And even though he feels robbed of grandchildren he told me himself that I better not ever have a kid because that kid will grow up messed up and hate ME for it. My reaction to all of these things has been to not react at all. Just...taking the information in. Nodding. Okay. I understand.

But every day it gets worse and worse. The next day my mother told me to not tell anyone else that I'm gay EVER because she didn't know if my dad would ever get over it. I told her I couldn't do that and that I wasn't putting my life on hold because he couldn't accept it. She yelled at me, telling me I was being inconsiderate of their feelings. In all this time it seemed like nobody cared about my feelings. She was telling me all of these terrible things that my father was saying without thinking about how those things would make me feel.

This morning she came into my room to give me a new update on the awful things he was saying and I explained to her the amount of emotional damage this was doing to me. I told her that it seemed like they were mad at ME like I DID this to them. She didn't get it. She still felt like the victim. She told me if I really loved them I wouldn't have told them at all. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I told her that my whole life I've been a good son to her. I always listened to what they told me to do, I never smoked, never drank, didn't do drugs, wasn't sleeping around, got good grades, yet at the same time I always felt like a disappointment to them. I broke down crying, telling her that they keep asking things of me that I can't give them, including being straight. I was a disappointment just for existing, and it wasn't something I could help. I came out to them for me, but also for THEM, because I didn't want to lie to them. She hugged me and we just cried for a few minutes. It was then that I think she finally GOT IT. She realized that she and my father weren't the only "victims" here (if they even are) and that their reaction might be hurting me more than me being gay is hurting them.

Almost immediately after we finished that conversation my dad came home from work. He hasn't spoken to me since I came out and my mother says I should wait until he's ready to talk to me (which judging from past experience, might be never). During the day though I heard him venting to himself in the basement. I wasn't trying to hear him, I was just sitting in my room and could hear him yelling through the floor. He said "He fucked me over. He fucked up his own life and he fucked up my life. It's disgusting. I don't have a son anymore. My son is DEAD."

I immediately went to my mother and told her what I could hear him saying. I asked her how someone who loves me could ever say something like that. She was disgusted. She went downstairs and they had an argument and when she came back she told me he said that no one is thinking about how he feels about this and that he's just worried about how hard my life is going to be. I think that's complete bullshit. He got caught saying something terrible and tried to backtrack. If he really cared about me he would NEVER say that I'm dead to him.

So that's what's going on. I have no idea what to do and I feel trapped in this house. I've been looking for a job for a month but now I know I need one more than ever because I need to get out of here. I don't know how to explain to him how being gay works because it seems like he doesn't have the mental capacity to understand it. I don't even know why I'm typing this story because I know there's nothing I can really do right now. I just needed to vent. I know it will EVENTUALLY get better but it isn't right now, and I don't have many people to talk to about it. Does anyone have any advice or maybe just some reassuring words? If you've read this far, thank you so much, I know it's really long :frowning2:

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

First off, welcome to EC :slight_smile:

I'm really sorry to hear that your dad isn't taking the news well at all and that you are hurting through it all. From experience I know that it can feel like a living hell, but, like you said, it will get better with time.

With time most parents will come around to it or at least will understand that their kid hasn't changed one bit. It does take time and some parents might take longer than others, but eventually all parents get there. Give them time to go through the whole process. Just like you had to go through your own process in order to accept yourself, they also have to go through their own process (there is a really good article about the stages that parents go through if you want to check it out). If its hard for us to understand what is going on just imagine how hard it must be for our parents to understand everything from the outside.

Just a story to give you hope, my parents didn't take the news too well either. My mom cried for 6 months straight and my dad was in denial for some time. My mom took it worse and she tried her hardest to get me to "change" my mind about being gay. She tried everything from guilt to the bible. It was intense. That being said, and after all the horrible things my mom said, they did come through at the end. It took them close to 6-7 months to calm down, but now, 2 years later, they are 100% okay with it. They both still love me, they have both met my boyfriend, and they both support me in every way they can. Just give them time :slight_smile:

As for what to do until they get there? Well, for whatever its worth, you have us. A lot of us have gone through the same thing so feel free to reach out whenever you need it. Even if it is just to vent :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :slight_smile:

Oh, and you might want to check if there is a PFLAG around your area. Its a great resource for parents if they need some help.

3. JRNagoya

If you haven't already, start looking for an LGBT group in your neighborhood. You're in Brooklyn so you're not too far from the LGBT Center in Manhattan. Their website is The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center. Check out there resources to include mental health advocates, their library, and any number of support and community groups. I'm part of the Gay Geeks for those of us who like comic books, video games, sci-fi and fantasy. It's been amazing the last few events I've attended. I finally feel like I have a group I can belong to where being gay is no problem. Find a group based around your interests and get yourself out of your house.

I'm really sorry about how your father reacted, and I hate to suggest it, but sometimes you need to write off toxic people, family included. If someone is not helping or supporting you during your time of need and transition, then they're part of the problem. I watched my grandparents and uncles leech off of my parents for over thirty years because they let them. All it led to was heartache, loss of income, and an incredible amount of emotion pain. You have some serious decisions to make soon. It seems you have a pretty good circle of friends. Reach out to them and see you can help you. If you're going to school, see if there's an LGBT club on campus. I can't promise that things will work out in the end, but you can do a lot now to save you from a tremendous amount of pain. If you need someone to vent to, just let me know.

4. Waffles

First of all, welcome to EC bro. *hug*
    Second, after reading all of your story, I want to say.that I'm sorry that your dad is taking it the way he is. I don't think it's that he no longer acknowledges you as his son, but that this news has put.him into denial. He's gonna have to come to terms with your sexuality sooner or later. No one can stay mad forever, trust me. :3
    Third, I think you deserve a pat on the back for scraping up the courage to come out to your parents. That is NOT an easy task, so congrats there. Sure, your dad may be saying these horrid things, but deep down, he knows you're his son; he can't change that, just like he can't change who you are.
    I think that maybe, for now, the best thing to do would be to avoid your dad- basically, give him space and time for him to take this all in. It's not something that everyone can understand and accept the.moment they find out. It may take days, or weeks, but he'll cool down at some point. When he's willing to listen, let him know that it isn't his fault (nor anyones fault) for you being gay. He's just going to have accept it sooner or later.

YOU HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING WRONG. You did what you felt was best, and that's that. I hope anything I just said helps at all, and I'm hoping that your situation lightens up soon.

Keep strong Bro!
    -Waffles

5. TheAMan

I normally don't read really long posts but yours was pretty good and it really touched me. I'm glad that your mom finally came around and I'm sorry taht your dad still doesn't accept you. For some people it takes a lot of time for them to accept their son being gay. The fact that your dad tried to backtrack on what he said and the fact that he doesn't say this stuff in front of you tells me that one day, he'll accept you.

6. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh man, I'm sorry. I've heard of a lot of cases where parents are pretty bad in the beginning, but they work through it. When I came out (I was more or less forced to, since they'd soon be hearing it from someone else) things didn't get better, but they eventually stopped talking about it as much. Then again, our relationship was toxic to begin with.
    I really hope your dad comes around. Hopefully he'll realize that you're still his son and you were gay even if he didn't know.

7. 55

Welcome to EC! I can't add much to what's been said other than to say you took one of the most major steps of your life in telling them. My counselor keeps saying that you and your loved ones will go through the stages of grief. Anger is one of the stages, but it will pass. Give him space as well as opportunities to just talk. From what I read, he may not be much of the talking type, but I think it's important not to avoid him completely - even if it's just being in the same room. It may help him see that you can't be bullied back into the closet and that you're the same son he's known, but now he knows you better.

Best of luck and keep us posted. This is a wonderful, caring community. We're here for you! (&&&)

55bna

8. Cloudbreaker

Sorry to hear your dad is having such a hard time with this. I hope things get better soon.

It might help your dad to hear from some other parents that have gone through this. Youtube is a good resource for that. You can search for videos of parents giving advice to other parents on how to react, what you can expect to change, etc. Just make sure you screen the videos first. Your mom seems like she wants to help you, so maybe you can have her help pick out some good ones.

Just off the top of my head I know big93scott, depfox, and couver87 have some good videos that might be helpful. Good luck!

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've heard some great advice and comments already, so I'll be brief.

Your dad is in the middle of the 2nd stage of the 5 stages of loss (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance). It's a normal place for him to be, and if he's like most men, he's not the most emotive, so something that is causing such strong emotions in him is probably very foreign and strange feeling to him, and he doesn't understand what he's feeling and feels very out of control.

So give it time. From the comments he's made, it's really clear that he cares very deeply about you... he's concerned about your well being, and how difficult he perceives your life will be, which means he cares about you, more than thinking about himself.

My guess is in somewhere between a couple weeks and a month or two, he'll come around. I know it sucks to be dealing with it until then, but I can almost totally assure you that once he gets his hands around everything, he'll be fine.

10. cscipio

Like others said: Welcome to EC.

I don't know why people apologize for long posts - how else do you convey the whole story :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear what you're going through with your dad. Like the advice you've gotten from others, I'll say roughly the same. It sounds as if your dad lacks the capacity to speak to you in a mature way and resorts to hostile comments due to that. Like Chip said above, I think he cares about you. I think he lacks the ability to express it.

We all hope it turns out well. Feel free to keep us informed.

11. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not much left for me to say, but good luck to you and your family. I'm not out to mine yet so I can only imagine how hard it is to hang in there when everything spins out of control. Everything will be okay, you just gotta ride it out.

It sounds like your mom is coming around, so you see they are already showing signs towards acceptance. Love to all of you, I hope things settle down quickly.

12. Caoimhe Fayre

Travis, I've been reading, and I don't have any advice, but for what it's worth I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers. I hope your dad will come around, and I want you to know that all of us at EC are here for you.

13. Travis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    WOW! Thank you guys SO MUCH for your comments! I would've been happy if just one person replied! Everything you said helped so much, and that stages of grief page was particularly interesting. It's almost exactly what's going on right now which is blowing my mind.

So here's an update: My Dad talked to my Mom last night and agreed that he's not going to be as angry anymore. He's not going to be ranting or saying hurtful things, but he wants to negotiate a bit (Step 3?). He was saying as long as I don't post about it anywhere on the internet where family or my parents' friends can see it and I don't come out to anyone in the family or bring anyone home (I wouldn't anyway) for now that he'll ease up a bit. He said things can go back to the way they were. He'll drive me to hang out with my friends (even the gay ones), he'll let me use his car, he'll pick me up if I'm coming home from some where, etc, as long as I don't say anything to the family or post it where anyone can see it. He even said he'll give me money to hang out with my friends. Luckily I'm not a brat and I was telling my mom that he doesn't need to do any of these things for me, I just don't want him to say hurtful things anymore. So yeah, I wasn't gonna tell anyone else in my family to begin with, not now anyway, and I can agree to not post things where people can see it. Not a big deal.

The car stuff makes sense to me because my dad doesn't usually show emotion unless it's anger (like you guys suggested), and it was only after we had a huge fight and agreed to be civil when I was around 18 that he started driving me places. I think he uses doing favors like that for me as a way to show me that he cares. It's weird but he's weird. I'm just really happy to find this out. It's happening faster than I thought, but like all things with him it had to get REALLY bad first for things to get better.

I guess my biggest concern right now is that the man clearly needs to be educated on homosexuality. He told my mother that he's afraid I'm going to start talking differently and dressing differently and wearing makeup. He told her she should get in touch with one of my straight friends so they can try to change my mind. He clearly knows NOTHING about gay people other than the stereotypes that he's seen on TV and in movies. Is there any way I can try to educate him about it? Make him see that nothing is going to change about me and there isn't just ONE kind of gay person? If there's any way to do that I'm not going to do it too soon since I still want to give him space, but he does need to understand how it works eventually.

14. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You seem like a great son, I truly do hope everything works out for the best for you and your family.

Perhaps you can politely convince your dad to read this: http://community.pflag.org/document.doc?id=495
    It's a booklet by PFLAG (Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) called "Our Daughters and Sons: Questions and Answers for Parents of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Youth and Adults."
    Explain to him that it would mean alot to you if he read it, and I'm sure even your mom would benefit. Of course there are many sources of education that would be great for them to read, but this is a start.

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Its great to hear that things are evolving! It looks like your dad is slowly getting there, but at least he is moving in that direction. Give him time and be patient. As for the request to not tell anyone right now, that's also very common. In a sense, by us coming out of the closet, we bring them in. They now must get ready to be okay with people knowing that their son is gay. My parents took 2 years to be okay with me telling my grandparents. I actually will be telling my granparents from my mom side of the family over the summer!

The most effective way of doing that is by just being yourself. Keep being who you are and that alone will dispel many myth and stereotypes. That's not to say to stay away from fitting some stereotypes because you will naturally fit some of them (That's just the way it goes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), but be yourself and leave the door open so your dad can communicate with you.

For example, the most popular stereotypes of gay men are being overly flamboyant, being promiscuous and having AIDS. Right from the begging you are already educating him without even trying :slight_smile:

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like your mom is pretty supportive, so what I'd suggest is seeing if she'll go to a PFLAG meeting... and then after she's been to one, maybe she can get your dad to go to one, or to one of their picnics or potlucks or something. If he has a chance to spend time around other parents who were in the exact same place he was, it will normalize things quite a bit, and that will help him to not see it as so "freaky."

I also think that -- pflag or no pflag -- after a month or two goes by, and you don't start showing up wearing pumps and a party dress... he'll begin to realize that the stereotypes he has in his head aren't accurate.

The business about not telling anyone publicly is certainly a control mechanism, but you have to realize that at this moment, *he* feels "naked." He feels like he's failed, and you're gay because of something *he* did or didn't do, and so your telling people publicly would be, to him, like his suddenly being stripped naked in front of all his friends/relatives/etc, metaphorically speaking.

So yes, what he's doing is classic bargaining... "Well, ok, maybe you're gay, but don't tell anyone, because maybe there's still a chance you can change back."

As you give him time to understand and accept who you are, and that he had no influence or impact on your being gay, then he'll calm down and my guess is he'll lose a lot of his objections and probably end up being very supportive.

You're taking this all in stride really well. I know it's hard, but I think you'll be surprised how accepting he'll be eventually.

17. Hidinginalabama

I must say what you did is something that takes a lot to do and you did it. But now is the part that sucks for a little bit. Your parents sounds like mostly your dad are having a hard time understand and accepting the fact that you are gay. But think of it this way it took you years to accept and understand that you are gay so give them a littile time to get to were you are on the accepting part. And I have agree with Chip on PFLAG. It has helped my family out a lot when it came to accepting that I am gay. I think with out PFLAG my dad would still be having a very hard time acceptin it. But most of all be strong for yourself. You have made it to this point in your life and you have so much more to go. And never forget we are here for you anytime you need us. We will always be here for you.(&&&) (*hug*)

18. Trixxster

Being a fifteen year old and questioning my sexuality myself, I can't really offer much advice. But I do feel for you and I hope it gets better for you. Welcome to EC. I'll try to send good karma your way.

19. bdman

Strange, your dad sounds an awful lot like my father. My father never shows emotion except anger. It's kind of like a Jeckyll/Hyde thing since any little thing can cause his personality to change and he would just lose it and start screaming at everyone. Then his way of apologizing is to do something for you. In fact that's really the only way he knows how to show love is to perform some task for you. He's not somebody you can talk to. It must be some textbook personality category. I always thought he might have manic depressive disorder.

Anyway, I'm grown and out of their house. I can never come out since I know there would be no chance for support or acceptance, yet my family is close and I have to see them often which makes things difficult. My relationship with my father is permanently damaged and our conversations never go beyond small talk.

It sounds like things are starting to get better for you and your dad. There is so much great information out there, that there is a good chance he will come around in time.

20. Travis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey everybody! Poppin' in for an update. So after a week of not speaking to me my dad finally said something to me the other day. Just asked me how a job interview went but it was the first time he talked to me since I came out to him. What's kind of freaking me out right now is that we haven't talked about it since my last post almost a week ago. I printed out that PFLAG pamphlet which I think will be really helpful, except I don't wanna give it to them yet because...I don't know, things are just settled right now. Me and my dad are still kind of avoiding each other but yeah, my parents have just been ignoring the whole thing like it never even happened. I don't wanna push the issue because I know they might need a break but I'm not sure when I should bring it up again or if I should wait for them to. What do you guys think?