1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out to a Friend From an Online Game

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Level75, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Level75

So I quit playing Final Fantasy XI and made it a point to send an e-mail to, shall we say, properly notify a good friend I played a lot with whenever I was online. Part of the e-mail had a bit addressing a time when I was having some difficulty coming to grips with being gay. He had asked me what was bothering me before and I evaded the question. Figured he was owed a proper explanation since I wouldn't be playing the game with him anymore.

Typically, he's fast to respond to these things, but this time, not so much as a word heard back for a while now. Also tried to add him to Facebook, to at least be able to keep in touch. And I get the feeling he refused it.

I'm not terribly bummed out about it. I mean, if the worst reaction I've had coming out so far is a non-response from a gaming buddy online that I've never even met in-person, there ain't much to complain about. It's more of a shame really.

2. JRNagoya

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your friend will come around. Did you ever post in the LGBT thread on FFXIAH?

3. Level75

I have been cautious about FFXIAH ever since that whole hacking scare years and years ago. Only in maybe the last year and a half did I open myself to the possibility of using it as a resource. I did post in the one about gay marriage that was on the Official Forum until it was locked. And it did get 2 things across to me.

1) The majority of Final Fantasy XI players (at least the ones that take the time to discuss the game on forums like Allakhazma or BG) are not homophobic.
    2) Longtime forum BST, Xilk, does happen to be though. Ever since then, I stopped caring about what he had to say about anything.

4. JRNagoya

Heh, I know that player, at least from his time at MonstersInc. We had at least one gay guy in our group. There may have been others, but I wasn't out at the time so I don't really count myself. Actually, the first linkshell I was in was run by a gay guy from California. So there were certainly out there. What made you finally decide to quit? Looking at any of the other FF games out/or coming out eventually?

5. Level75

Got bored of the game. Most people who quit these days are quitting in rage over the direction the game is going on. Personally, I just think 8 years of it is enough. I hadn't logged on for 2 months so I gave it some serious thought and just felt it was time. I could be like some others and be like "Oh, the game is crap now. XIV ftw, GW2 onry, kthxbai". But you know, 8 years of playing the same game is a long time and is impressive by any standard you can come up with so I don't really have the right to say I didn't enjoy it.

I am open to the possibility of returning though in the next few months IF there is some major announcement like a new expansion. And I mean a real new expansion. None of this reskinned zones nonsense like Abyssea.

EDIT: Not going to lie though. The hardest part is to have to just let it all go. All the time (and money) that was poured into playing my character. The vicarious thrill of "being" a Red Mage or Beastmaster. The heated arguments over the game.

The fact that I'm open to the possibility of returning (as a lot of people end up doing) is making me wonder how long it will be before the inclination to still be part of it all completely dissipates.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

#5 Level75, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. JRNagoya

Ahh, I remember that view. Took me forever to get there. Damned Prommies. When I finally quit, I made absolutely sure I couldn't go back. Dropped all my merits, spent/discarded all my points (ISP or otherwise) and dropped/gave away all my gear and items. I do miss the game, however, but I also realize just how much damned time I spent on the game. Good times, though.

Haven't picked up a game since I quite back in December of 2009. All that's left is my lonely PSP and even that I don't play. /sigh

7. Level75

Yeah, I think he held the position that developers shouldn't be forcing their political beliefs on players, that position that is oh so popular these days in the face of the fact game developers are beginning to acknowledge that gay people exist and *shock* play video games.

I mean, it's absolutely inconceivable that this flaming poofter can gun down 5 other people online like a hardcore mofo, AMIRITE?!

#7 Level75, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012