1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My aunt is mad...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by colorful, Apr 3, 2012.

1. colorful

I live with my aunt.
    Long story short:

1.Kissed a girl
    2.Wrote about it in my diary
    3.My aunt read my diary

She threw the whole catholic thing at me. She said she didn't think I really was. She is totally not okay with it. I took my dog and my stuff for my school tomorrow and had my brother come pick me up and take me to my sisters. (of course we would get pulled over for a broken headlight - soo much homework to do still!) I told my sister's friends that were over what happened and her one friend said she totally knew I was. I used the whole literally coming out of a closet to tell them. Lol.

Even though I am not sure what is going to happen now with my aunt and with where I live and everything I think I am glad it happened. I'm upset that my aunt was so harsh (I obviously didn't go into detail), but hopefully she'll come around... I'm not super happy that I had to get pushed out of the closet, but it will be okay. Despite her reaction I got to tell my sister and two of her friends. Also I had a wonderful conversation with my sister's friend about the fact that she had a girlfriend and she gave me some good insights. I think this whole thing has given me a better grasp on who I am even if it is kind of messed up. Haha.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry this happened to you. The first thing that comes to mind is why on earth was your aunt reading your diary? Does nobody have decent boundaries any more??!! It was bad enough that she read it, inexcusable that she brought up something she'd read in it.

In any case, it sounds like you've handled it responsibly and reasonably. My guess is that once your aunt has a chance to calm down and think, she'll be a little more reasonable. And as you said, it is definitely advantageous to be out, even if it was not at your own choice.

I hope things are a little easier in the coming days :slight_smile:

3. colorful

I can't understand why on earth she would read it either. She said she was worried about me and was afraid that I was contemplating suicide. Still not exactly a reason, but if that was really the motivation I'm glad she cares (now if she actually cares she will accept me).

Thank you. I think it will be. I feel like I can actually say I'm mostly out now. If I can deal with my aunt I can deal with anyone. Haha. Luckily I already had an appointment with my counselor set up tomorrow. I was also thinking of telling another of my friends tomorrow.

4. Caoimhe Fayre

I'm sorry you had to go through that with your aunt. *hugs* I hope things do look up for you.

5. hml8

I'm sorry it happened like that *hugs* though it does sound like you've handled it very well.

Just to check though, it's not possible that it's come across like you've ran away is it? cause that wouldn't be seen as particularly responsible by your aunt :|

Congrats on taking a bad sitch and using it to better you own understanding of yourself though!

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey sorry about your Aunt, hopefully once she has calmed down she will come around. As long as you are safe, sometimes whilst things are not great at the time, it works out for the best in the end. Chin up.

7. Leora

So sorry to hear that has happened to you! :frowning2: Well done on dealing with it well.

EDIT: If you saw my earlier message, sorry, I thought I was posting on a different thread. Whoops.

8. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry to hear about your Aunt's reaction. STAY STRONG though, and don't let her bring you down. Also, you may want to stop keeping a diary...some people get nosey...they just really aren't a good idea...
    Anyways, good luck with your Aunt and everything. I'm glad you turned it into something a little more positive- thats a good attitude to have and it will help you a lot. You've got this! :slight_smile:

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am really sorry to hear about your aunt's reaction.

First off, she should have respected your boundaries and not read your diary.

Second, I think that you took a bad situation and turned it into a better situation. There were so many worse ways that you could have handled this situation.

Good luck with your aunt!! I hope that she comes around. I'm also glad to hear that you removed yourself from the situation. This gives you both time to "cool down" a bit.

10. stupidIvan

I'm really sorry about your aunt and you being pushed out of the closet so early. :::: ( But you seem to be working with it and taking it really well (better than me!). I, personally, am very proud of you and wish you nothing but the best for the future!

11. colorful

Thanks everyone!

and

12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely, im sure she will come around once she has sorted it out in her own mind. Sometimes when we are shocked we react in a way which we otherwise wouldnt. I think you did the right thing.

13. Caoimhe Fayre

colorful,

it sounds like your aunt still loves you... but you said she is Catholic, and so keep in mind that depending on how Catholic she is, she probably doesn't have a lot of education about homosexuality, and most likely has a very skewed view of what it means. she will have been taught that anyone who acts on being gay will be risking hellfire. she has also likely been taught that homosexuals are promiscuous, unhappy people. she probably doesn't mean to be judgmental, she just doesn't understand and she is too caught in her own fears to listen just yet. give her time.

I mean, consider how many practicing Catholics (like myself, for instance) who are gay, who spend decades trying to fix ourselves because we ourselves don't understand. She is not experiencing the attraction to other women, so it would be even more difficult for her to come to terms with or to understand. She is probably terrified for you, and if she has any trust or belief in what the Church teaches her then she is definitely terrified for you.

I'm not saying that you should listen to her at all, but I hope you will understand that it could take years for it to sink in for her. That she not only has the grieving process that any family member would likely have to go through, she also has a lifetime of beliefs to counter.

she is likely throwing the catholic stuff at you because it's the first thing on her mind - for a person of faith, the Church is the first place a person goes to for comfort in times of fear, but now she's afraid because of what the Church teaches her concerning the path she sees you on.

I'm not saying that it excuses her actions in any way, and definitely don't let that hold you back from your own life, but I hope that one day she'll come around, and that when she does you'll consider forgiving her.

I hope that once she works through her own fear and her own issues surrounding homosexuality, that you will get to be the example for her that proves LGBTQ people are really just people like anyone else.

of course I could be totally off base and maybe she'll never get past it - some people never do - but chances are you are the first person to give her a reason to even consider getting past what she'll have been taught as a catholic.