1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story at 34 - My parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by JRNagoya, Apr 8, 2012.

1. JRNagoya

This one has been a long time coming - 20 years at least. Once I finally embraced being gay in December of 2011, things started steamrolling very quickly. I came out to my roommate, my mentor, my sister, my best friend, some classmates, and a few others, but the biggest hurdle, my parents, still loomed heavy over me.

The original plan was to tell them the first night of their visit, but that wouldn't be until the second week of May. Each person I had come out to has been extremely supportive and understanding. I knew that my parents wouldn't be any different, but when you've carried a burden for most of your life, those fears do not dissipate so easily, no matter how close and loving a relationship you have with someone. Like many on this forum, I staged practice conversations in my head for years. I covered every possible scenario and outcome, the good, the bad, and the extremely ugly. The desirable outcomes always outnumbered the bad, but it never stopped me from dwelling on them.

I finally texted my sister and told her I wanted to set up a Skype conversation with my parents. She agreed and said she'd invite them over for dinner and have the video chat later. At least that was the idea. Two weeks of delays and postponements later, we finally had a solid date and time for the talk. Unfortunately it feel on Easter Day. The way I figured it, Jesus wouldn't be the only one coming out of a cold, dark cave today.

The conversation pretty much went exactly how I wanted it to. They didn't even bat an eye, even though I was daubing mine with a tissue. Their primary concern was for my happiness and they were just concerned why I wasn't able to go to them earlier - even back in high school. As we all know here, it's just not that easy sometimes. Even with fully supportive family and friends like mine, personal fears and anxieties greatly outweigh any support network. This was something I had to settle on my own which was one of the reasons I chose to move to New York. I needed an environment away from everyone I knew and one in which I could safely explore beyond the closet doors.

The conversation lasted two hours. I outlined my new life with my parents. I wouldn't have a wife, but I would one day have a husband. I had been anti-marriage for many years because of my denials, but now that I'm fully accepting of being gay, I look forward to waking up next to the same man for the rest of my life. I told my parents that my self-esteem and my confidence are greater than they've ever been. I didn't tell them about all my suicidal thoughts or about the one time I ran a knife over my belly, but I didn't need to. They knew that this was something I struggled with and that there were moments of weakness, but that's all behind me now. Since coming to NY, I've lost 15 pounds, I'm eating better, enjoying an active social life, and drowning in homework.

All in all, it's been a very good year. My time here on EC has also helped tremendously and I would like to thank everyone who's responded to my posts with encouragement and words of advice. I'd like to leave with the e-mail I sent my parents. Hopefully it'll help those who are still trying to come out to themselves or to those they love.

Good night EC. I'll see ya'll in the morning.

2. sanguine

good on you :thumbsup:

i hope you do meet that special someone sooner rather than later.

3. Hidinginalabama

That is so amazing and congrats. You did something amazing. You came out to your parents witch most of us still haven't done. You should be super proud of yourself right now. And again congrats on telling your parents.

4. Lewis

Congratulations. It's really nice to know that you can now live the life that you've always deserved. :slight_smile:

5. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

What a coincidence! Im 34 and just came out to my mom last week (dad is dead). She was initially not happy, but has come around. I think she's still in shock, but she'll just have to learn to accept it.

So, just don't feel alone. There are people out there in their 30s and beyond who are just coming out. Good luck man!

6. Sayu

Congratulations!!! It must feel great finally being completely out! :slight_smile:

7. stupidIvan

This made me tear up a little, I can't lie! ::::' )

Your story is so wonderful, thank you for sharing!

8. Eleanor Rigby

That's wonderful :slight_smile: Congratulations for coming out to your parents (*hug*) I'm happy for you they are supportive

9. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations on coming out to your parents. I know exactly what you have been through. Back in 2001 when I was 34 I did the same thing. Never looked back! Take care now.

10. JackSplat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations, i never used the oppertunity when i still had mine.

11. JRNagoya

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I wanted to update this and post the e-mail I got back from my father. It'll shed some light on the kind of relationship I have with him and who he is as a person:

You might ask, if I have such a good relationship with him, why did it take until I was 34 to come out? Well, the short answer is that the first person you come out to is yourself. I was/am my own worst enemy. I'm pretty sure a number of people here can relate.

12. CrystalDecanter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow! It's an inspiration to hear your story. I'm also in my mid-30's and in the process of working things out. It's great that your family is so supportive.

#12 CrystalDecanter, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  13. Dalmatian

Damn, that sense of relief, that happiness after an exhausting task, the smile on dead-tired face, it's so palpable. How did you manage to put so much optimism in that "good night EC"? So great.. congrats :slight_smile:

Thank you for a wonderful story (*hug*)

14. jimL

Awesome story! I talked to my parents last summer, I was 56. Its never too late. My parents also wished I would have told them many years ago. CONGRATULATIONS! Isn't it wonderful to have accepting parents. We are the lucky ones!

15. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

I know exactly what you mean and you make a very valid point!

16. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations, you're amazing! I'm so happy that your parents are accepting of you and your dad's letter is beautiful. Take care :thumbsup: