1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out to mum by e-mail

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BornAnew, Apr 25, 2012.

1. BornAnew

I was speaking to her on the phone & kind of broke down...didn't say anything & just told her to read an e-mail I sent her.

I've sent it now...I'll see what she says

So nervous...I hope she won't hate me. This could go so wrong :frowning2:

2. Mister Gaga

Don't worry, since there's no reason to worry, just try to relax, even though I know it's impossible, and hope she'll accept it.

By the way, congratulations, that was brave of you, keep us posted =)

Best of luck !!

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey congratualtions on sending it, im sure everything will work out. Just give her a little bit of time to read and process it.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Congratulations on taking that great step.
    Have some faith in your parents, they might surprise you.
    You'll always have the support of everyone here.
    Good luck and keep strong!

5. BornAnew

Thanks for the good wishes guys....things didn't go well at all though. Well I guess it could've been much worse, haven't been disowned or anything lol.

She basically says she can't ever accept it. If I get a boyfriend I'll get disowned. Her life iss ruined, I've broken the family. Apparently I have a mental condition & she refuses to sympathise as it's not a physical injury. etc etc etc...

The most hurtful part was when she said, "As an only child you have a certain amount of responsibility & you must sacrifice certain things.", she went on to say I'm being very selfish & I've lost emotional support from her.

I guess I expected a lot of this as I'm of Indian origin & the country is very homophobic...even though I've been brought up in the UK my parents still grew up in India, so their mind set is a bit different.

She also said no-one in India or any family can ever know & that I may have to marry later (of course I made it clear right then and there that she should expect no such thing from me...ever).

She's really afraid to tell my dad as his reaction could be even worse...I'm afraid he might want to go down the disowning route which would be horrifying as they live in India (they moved back) while I'm in the UK studying at University... accommodation costs are enormous in the town I'm in so the student loans don't support it...I don't know what I'd do TBH. Maybe I should find a job.

....don't know what to say. She says she'll never ever accept it but more than anything seeing my mums opinion on me change so fast is horrible :frowning2:

On the bright side she did say, "I still love you, but just because your my son...nothing else". At least she still loves me.

6. Lewis

Hey, congratulations on coming out to your mum. It's such a shame that she reacted this way! I wish you all the best and hope things get better for you! :slight_smile:

7. julia

I'm so, so sorry about what your mom said. But that's really great you told her, you should be proud of yourself. <3

8. Sayu

Oh, I am so sorry that it went this bad :icon_sad: Maybe this is just a shock and your mum will slowly start to face the fact that you are gay and will eventually accept you. I hope it would be like that. Anyways, I send a huuuge hug for you (*hug*) Don't forget that you are never alone (&&&)

Hope it will get soon better! :thumbsup:

9. BudderMC

Please don't take this to heart. You are in no way being selfish by being able to express your true self, particularly if you aren't hurting anyone else. All you can really do now is hope that she's just in major denial and will come around eventually. Regardless, she said she still loves you, and that's a good start.

And yeah, finding a job probably isn't a bad idea. Particularly if you're financially dependent and risk being cut off... it gives you a good safety net.

Congrats though! At least it's over with, huh?

10. BornAnew

Thanks for the kind words guys :slight_smile:

@Saayu

Aww thanks for the hug *hugs back*

Yup I'm trying to think that anything she said today wasn't in her right frame of mind as after all it was all a shock to her. Yup I do hope she is in major denial & comes around in the end...not too hopeful but it's always possible and believing it will be is probably the best way to go forward.

Yeah it still feels like a huge relief to at least just be over with it...no matter the result at least she knows!

11. Luna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel so sorry for you! But you should feel proud that you managed to do it. You're very brave. :slight_smile: I'm sorry that your mother didn't accept you but she might change her mind… As she said, you're her only child. If she loses you, she won't have anyone left. It seems like she thinks that she lost you but she didn't - she just lost the dream of you getting married to a woman. Basically you're still the same person as you were a week ago, only slightly braver. And she knows you better. That's the problem - the real you doesn't want to get married to a woman and other things she dreamed that you'd do. I guess that it could take some time getting used to if you're conservative... But your happiness should be more important to her than her dreams for your life. I can only hope that she'll understand that. But no matter what, you should be extremely proud of yourself. You did a very brave thing! -hugs-

12. BornAnew

@Luna

Yeah I hope she changes her mind. Thanks for the hug :slight_smile:

____

She called back last night & told me that my dad would kick me out of the house if he found out...I'm not sure how she did this but apparently she joked around with the possibility to gauge his reaction & that's what he said.

She basically went on to say I "have" to get rid of this problem for the family. I have no choice but to marry & produce children. Apparently people make sacrifices in their life all the time...this is one I'll have to make and it's not a "big" one in her eyes.

Oh god it's like I'm a machine built for reproduction. She wants therapy to start in the summer when I'll be in India...I really don't wanna leave the UK in the summer now...don't feel safe there.

Anyway because of the fear of getting disowned I'm gonna start looking for a job today & hopefully work on weekends when Uni starts in September for that whole academic year. When I feel I'm financially independent I can actually be more firm with her about this (maybe by that time she will learn to accept too)...because right now if I push it too much it could mean me not being able to finish my Uni degree.

13. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'm sorry to hear that and hope she'll come to her senses, sooner rather than later.

This is one of the most egoistic and ridiculous responses to a coming out.
    If other people cannot deal with you being gay that's their problem, not yours, nor your mothers.

You should let her visit the following site:
    Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality
    It's from one of the major Psychological Association in the U.S. and supported by every other medical and psychological association.
    You're not ill nor do you have a birth defect or anything, you're perfectly healthy.

Again, unbelievably selfish thinking.

The only one being selfish is your mother, she should worry about your emotional well-being not her social status.

True. still I had hoped your mother would consider that you are her child and if she thinks it true rationally there's nothing wrong with being gay.

Good, stay true to yourself, you are an individual not your mothers pet.

I would advise you to, should the worst case scenario come to pass.

I sympathise, try to have patience and show her that you haven't changed and aren't a threat to anyone nor yourself. Show her sites like the one I posted and try to educate her. But don't rush or push her as that might make things worse.

Again, I hope she comes to her senses.
    Until then you have my love and support, hang in there!(*hug*)

14. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Nothing else to add as it has all been stated above.

However I would advise you get a job asap, just incase the worst happens. If you do, then make sure you get as much sleep as possible when you have nothing to do, or things could get stressful. Tough times but once you're stable on your own you no longer need your parents, then you can be you completely, whether your parents approve or not.

15. seeksanctuary

You don't HAVE to do anything. They cannot force you to marry, and they cannot force you to have children. Hell, if you wanted children, you CAN still have them even if you're gay... it just means you adopt, or have a surrogate mother. But still, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

Linthras is correct. Your mother is the one being selfish. You haven't ruined anyone's life, you're not selfish, and you have the right to live a happy, healthy life as you see fit. And really? She only loves you because you're her son? What sort of love is that?

Good luck with job hunting. I fully support you in finding a way to stay in the UK. I'm sorry your mother reacted this way. Stay strong, and keep your chin up. We're all here for you, and it WILL be okay eventually. It's just time to start fighting for it.

16. BornAnew

Thanks so much for the kind words guys. It means a lot...and is reassures me that my decision to come out was still good...the earlier this fight starts the sooner things will be all okay.

@Linthras

Thanks for that link, I'll show it to her when I go to India on a holiday in June...sending it to her now wouldn't do much. She said she will delete any email talking about me being "gay" without hesitating. In fact she doesn't even want that word to be used.

@seeksanctuary

Every time she says that I refuse...I'm being a bit more careful now after the disowning threat though. Either way I am never ever going to do that...I am not a tool in their "life plan" for me & not to mention I can't trap some poor woman into a fake relationship...it would ruin one more life.

17. Linthras

Linthras Guest

She can try to deny it all she wants, you are gay, whether she likes it or not.
    Stay strong we're here for you!

18. Hidinginalabama

I'm so sorry to hear your mom was like that. I don't know what to say here other than stay strong and the world will work out for you in the end. Your happiness is what you have to look out for.

19. Adarahs

Adarahs Guest

Like everyone else has said, way to go for being so brave! I'm sorry that your mom wasn't more understanding, but I hope, that with time, she'll change her mind.

20. Caoimhe Fayre