1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told one of my best friends today....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by speedracing22, Apr 25, 2012.

1. speedracing22

Today at lunch I told one of my best friends (a girl) that I am bi. I really don’t feel much better about myself now (i feel really weird honestly), but I feel great knowing that I have a friend who will always be there for me no matter what. I had wanted to tell her for the past year or so but I was never able to say it, but I finally just wanted her to know, so I feel like I don’t have to hide it from her anymore….

So for those who want to know, here’s how it went down…

We were at a restaurant talking about her boyfriend, and I asked if she wants to get married one day. She said “yes”, and I said “well I don’t really know if I will ever get married or not, but I guess I will see”. She asked “why not?”. I zoned out for a minute or so and thought that I should really just tell her.

At this point I just couldn’t bring myself to say it, not to mention we were in a packed restaurant, so I took out my phone and wrote a text message that said, “it depends if I end up dating a guy or a girl” and sent it to her. I said to her “I sent you a text message – please don’t freak out when you read it”. It felt like it took all of eternity for her to receive the message.

She gets the messages, reads it, and says “huh…I don’t get it”. And I said…..“read it again”. lol She looks at me funny as if I’m supposed to explain it and I said “I like both….”. And she goes “OHHHH!” and then we both laughed.

She was really happy that I told her. I explained that I didn’t want anyone to know, and that I felt weird about it, and she told me about a few of her friends who she said were like me, who keep it to themselves and most people can’t tell or don’t know, so I felt somewhat better about it.

We had a few jokes, and she gave me a big hug, and that’s it. Looking back, as hard as it was I always knew she wouldn’t care. I just wasn’t ready to tell her until now. I’m glad I did.

---------- Post added 25th Apr 2012 at 02:55 PM ----------

P.S. I guess this is a good time to break out this -> (!) hahaha

2. TheAMan

Yay! Congrats to you my friend.

3. ilovecats

ilovecats Guest

Congratulations! I'm glad that your friend was supportive. :slight_smile:

4. julia

Congrats, that's really fantastic! :slight_smile:

5. Luiensz

I bet you feel a lot better don't you? Congradulations!
    :wink:

6. Brenny

That is really awesome she took it so well! I'm happy for you!

A friend from work was like, "Straight up, you're confusing. I don't care if you are or not but I just want to know, are you gay?" When I told her, and we discussed it a little further, I honestly felt more weird than before. I still kinda do but things do get less awkward over time. She doesn't treat me any differently (other than the occasional joke about a guy coming in-which I don't mind). Many times, we personally are the ones who feel weird about others knowing when the people we've told honestly don't mind in the slightest.