1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living Library!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Miranda, May 1, 2012.

1. Miranda

Hi all :icon_bigg

I ended my questioning 6 months ago and told my closest friends and family that I'm gay. However, though I am not hiding, I simply don't mention it loud so most people (including some close friends) still don't know that I'm gay. As I don't act so gay, so it doesn't seem that people guess it.

Recently, I was thinking more and more about it. I'm like exploding! I want to talk about what I feel and to tell people it's not wrong to be a gay! But I have a very few friends I can sincerely talk about this issues. Unfortunately the LGBT club has not active since I come out, and I didn't contact with any members so I feel isolated. I also haven't had the courage to be out somehow.

Then, I've found a real challenge: Being a "book" in Living Library!

"Living Library" is a project to decrease the prejudice and ignorance towards the people because of their ethnic, cultural or sexual identities. In the Living Library, people are "books", readers reserve a book and "read" it by talking to the book.

My activist side was still roaring when I read in the school newspaper that Living Library will held in Spring Fest, like previous fests. Then I felt the courage and say, "Well, I'll be there!" :king: So I will be one of the gay books in the event next week! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

That's a very good opportunity to be out without having awkward conversations. I wonder my friends' reactions when they just figure out why I'm there! And it will also feed my activist side and do what I want for a long time - talk to people about it.

I'm still afraid of the rumors, being alienated and labeled as a jerk, but I feel like withstand it :icon_bigg I also don't tell it my parents who are still trying to tolerate it and don't want me to be out - I'm not used to hide anything from them :icon_sad:

Wish me luck for the next Monday!

2. SkyDiver

Good luck!! That sounds like a fantastic opportunity!

3. Miranda

I think so :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm already very excited and waiting for Monday and Tuesday!

4. Pain

Pain Guest

That sounds amazing! I wish there was something like that around here to do! Good luck!!! :grin:

5. Miranda

Maybe it's time to organize one :slight_smile: If there are some organizations about human right issues and discrimination in your city/college (I guess there are), you may propose one. We need more activism against all kinds of discrimination! :rolleyes:

6. Pain

Pain Guest

Huh... that would be so awesome :slight_smile: Might have to take that advice....

7. Miranda

Then, there are only some hours left for Living Library, I'm extremely thrilled! :eusa_shif
    Today we painted the canvas banners, they are beautiful :icon_bigg
    In 12 hours, I will be talking to the curious people as a gay "book", and probably I'll shock many friends because there are few I'm already out. :jawdrop:
    I'm just curious that what silly questions I'll be asked and the response of my friends if they coincide and realize why I'm here!

Wish me luck! :icon_bigg

8. Miranda

Whoaaaa!!! Living Library is now over, and the event was a total success!

I was extra anxious and excited when the time has come - I was never such open, even being open to the organization team was a great leap for me :eek: We were three gay books, and many others like a schizophrenic, atheist, convert, transexual, sex worker were ready.

All my anxiety faded when we started, and in two days I talked to many, many people. They asked about my coming out process, being gay, the reactions of my friends and family and discrimination. I also said I just didn't want to be labeled as "the gay guy" while my other qualities were ignored, and so on. All people I talked are so supportive, actually the ones with prejudices weren't around me. When they learned I became open here, all were amazed that how bold I was (actually, I was amazed, too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I also met a girl who is in the closet (then we became friends :slight_smile: ) and another one who is questioning, hoping that I helped them a lot.

Then, many friends came across me, and know about me now. They all said, "Wow, then you are in the organization team, right?" and I said, "Ummm, yep - actually, I'm a book..." "What?! Which book then? *puzzled look*" then, the shock! :eek: But all were really supportive, hopefully they were somehow close friends and knew enough about me. When 3 good friends of me came in the end of the first day, it was a real challenge for me but I managed to keep calm! :icon_bigg They listened to me for a long time and seemed very comfortable about me!

When I was talking to a group, I saw my lab pair was around, we met in the lab only 2 months ago and see each other mostly in the lab. When I finished talking, I said "Hi" to him. I waited a typical response, but he just started, "Hey, you just haven't seemed like a gay! Wow!" and I could just say, "How could you...", he replied, "I listened to you :thumbsup:". Hmmm. :confused: Then, continued, "I was really impressed for your courage. As if all people like you could do it. I was really proud of you!" - and I was like crying, "Oh, really!!!! Well, then... (*hug*)".

So, now I'm really out to the campus (though the rumors aren't spread yet)! And I also made many friends, including some gays who were around (I was outside of the range of the gay people in campus because I was open to only closed friends.), learned many things from the books, and the most important, I got the courage to be open! I feel soo happy and confident! (!)

9. Sadepeura

That sounds awesome! Congratulations! This is such a great and inspiring story and I really admire your courage! :grin:

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That is freaking AMAZING!! Go you and really happy that you had such an awesome experience with it all :slight_smile:

It really is one of the greatest experiences to be so open with total strangers and know that you are making a difference to some people. I'm so excited for you!

And when the rumors come if, if they do come in, I can almost guarantee you that the postive comments and positive people in your life will outweigh everything else.

Congrats and I'm totally stealing the idea of the library! :slight_smile:

11. Miranda

Thanks for your responses!

And, well - I hope so :slight_smile: