1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I came out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by counterspade, May 1, 2012.

1. counterspade

It's actually kind of a funny story.

My ex-girlfriend and I had broken up right before I graduated high school. We didn't talk for a few months, but were still Facebook friends. I was scrolling through my news feed, and happened to notice she posted something along the lines of, "That's right, folks, I have a girlfriend, not a boyfriend!" So me being curious, thinking she meant one of our girl mutual friends... like her 'girlfriends,' I commented on the status update, which led to her sending me an e-mail about it. She told me all the details, and I was actually really shocked.

So after she got done telling me that, I finally broke down and confessed about me having an attraction to men the entire time we dated. Needless to say, we became instant best friends after that. Still are to this day. lol

So when the excitement settled down, she prompted me to tell my mom. I was insanely nervous about it, because my mom always expected me to give her grandchildren, and I just seemed like I didn't "fit the mold" of liking men. I was out of town at the time, so I sent her an e-mail at work, asking if she'd call me when she got home. So she did, and I told her. She was surprised, but not mad. She supported me 100%... still does (I think, lol).

It's taken me a while to come out to other friends, some co-worker's, and other family members, but I'm slowly working on it. I asked my friends and those in my family I have told to keep in on the down low until I made the final decision. I have a very nosy family... I'm sure I'm not the only one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So in a nutshell, that's my story. :grin:

2. Miranda

Oh, that's really funny, at least she's not straight, too :lol: Then, that's wery well that your family & close friends are supportive - and the outing stage is soo thrilling! :thumbsup:

3. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    I have a very close guy friend like that. We dated for a while in high school and after I graduated i came out to him as gay and he turned around and said he is Bi, and that he's dated guys before me :O needless to say he has been the most supportive of all my school friends :slight_smile:

4. counterspade

I totally understand where you're coming from with the most-supportive thing. It's like she understands, and I don't have to tip toe around the fact to spare feelings like I do with some of my other friends.