1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by DoABarrelTroll, May 14, 2012.

1. First of all, let me start off by saying I'm fairly sure that I'm Bi, well all i know is I'm definitely not straight. I go to a Catholic private school (which i hate with PASSION) that seems sorta homophobic, my friends aren't but there are a lot of people who are. I want to tell my friends about my sexual orientation so i can stop pretending I'm something that I'm not but I'm worried someone else is gonna find out about me and you know, bash me, or something like that. As far as i see it, i have two options for coming out to my friends. the first is telling them while we're all walking home (which we do, most days). the second is wait until the middle of next year and tell them on the 9th grade camp. the latter seems like the more preferable option in my opinion but I'm not sure i can go that long without telling someone. But if i tell them sooner i have the problem of someone else finding out. I feel i need another opinion. any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this is hard to follow, i haven't proofread as i know i will probably end up deleting half of it
    Thanks again

-Tom

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Hello Tom,

You seem to be in a rather though situation.
    My advice would be to come out to one friend, preferably the one you trust the most and ask him/her to keep it a secret for now.
    This way you can come out sooner rather than later and still be somewhat in the closet.
    You will also have someone to talk to about these things.
    The thing with coming out at large gatherings like camps is that the risk of coming out to literally everyone is rather high as news travels fast during group events.
    If you feel confident to come out during said camp, go right ahead but be aware of the risks.

Now onto some general, vital advice whether you come out or not:
    Know there is absolutely nothing wrong with you, no matter what people might say to you.
    Before you come out you must be ready to face yourself, your own ego, in other words, the you that you truly are. Once you've done that, just live your life by being true to yourself.
    Lot's of love and support, Thomas(*hug*)

3. Hidinginalabama

What ever you feel is right is realy the best thing to do. It's not realy something that others can say do it this way or that. It's really up to how you feel and if it's safe for you to do.

4. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Tom,

Well you say your in 9th grade. If you tell your friends your worried it might come out, but what after 9th grade, what about after the camp. People will find out soon enough. Heck some might even suspect something.

I would advice you to tell your friends sooner than later. but that is if you are happy with your choice. If not, then i suggest hold out until you are.

When you are ready and you do tell your friends, chances are more likely that they suspect if they know you well enough so it might not even surprise them.

5. Thankyou everyone, this has been a great help. I shall think about this today.

6. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with everyone else. If I were you, I'd tell everyone one person at a time, at your own pace, starting now.
    However I've found that winging it is easier. Do whatever you feel is right, whatever makes you most comfortable. But yeah, that's what I would do. :slight_smile: