1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, there.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by stillaweirdo, May 16, 2012.

1. stillaweirdo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a 17-year-old boy from the Bible Belt. I came out for the first time to my friends in the eighth grade. Eventually, my entire school knew, but I had yet to tell my parents. About halfway through my eighth grade year, my parents found out and started heavily abusing me, regularly beating me and verbally abusing me. The verbal abuse continues to this day. I was insulted and humiliated multiple times. They even hired a preacher to counsel me and "fix" me. When I finished the eighth grade, my parents sent me to a Christian private school, where I still am enrolled today. I've told quite a few people who have been wonderfully supportive, and have many great supportive allies and friends. I don't really know why I'm posting this here. I guess it's just necessary. But I'd appreciate some responses, support, comments, anything. Particularly regarding feelings of loneliness and how to combat them (specifically regarding crushing on your best straight guy friend). Also, I have bipolar disorder, so that keeps things interesting. And I'm an artist, musician, actor, fashionista, and all that good stuff. So, yeah. Thanks for reading this.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am really sorry that happened to you and that it is still happening. I would recommend continuing to post here. We have a nice community.

I want you to know that there are mental health resources too. There are also legal resources. If abuse continues, you should document it, get witnesses when you can, and involve Child Protective Services with your state Department of Justice or Health and Human Services.

3. stillaweirdo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks! I would rather not file charges against my parents. That would just rip open tons of old wounds that still haven't really healed all the way. But I'm pretty sure it's not going to stop. But, on the bright side, I just have one more year until I can move out. I know can persevere until then. Hell, I've been going to a Christian school for three years, so what's one more? I have my various escapes that keep me relatively sane. And I am very well-read in my bipolar information. I have a form of bipolar disorder called cyclothymia. I like to refer to it as bipolar in slow motion. But it's probably not the best technical definition. But, anyway, I will definitely keep posting here. Thanks again!

4. RealityCheck

This made me so very sad...I can relate to a lot in your story. I really don't want you to stay in that environment. I realize you don't want to make things any worse, but I really don't think you would. Emancipation is not exactly easy, but an option. I won't try to counsel you on any of that because I don't know enough about it or you personally. It just makes me wanna cry when I hear stories of abuse. You are worth so much more to someone that how these people treat you. Anyway, please don't let people hurt you.

Straight crushes are a hard thing to cast aside, but if you don't you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. I highly suggest you just enjoy the friendship for what it is unless there is something that causes you to think that they may reciprocate your feelings. I love people who are into the arts! I think my attraction comes from the fact that I have none of those talents, lol. Also, fashionistas are in high demand if you ask me! Even if I don't find a boyfriend anytime soon, I would love to just have a gay friend with some sense of fashion that could help me go shopping :lol: I tried to take my girl friends...they were worse than I am! No sense of style whatsoever. Good luck to you , and just so you know,the world is a totally awesome place once you are able to get out there and live as yourself without fear. (*hug*)

5. JonSomeone21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hate to hear that your parents reacted that way, and I just hope that the abuse ends. I don't know how parents can do things like that to their children, the ones that they are supposed to love more than anything. Living in the Bible Belt is difficult as it is, much less being gay in it (I live in Alabama). I'm not out, nor am I ready to come out, but I can only imagine, as I hear some of the things that people say and it rips me apart inside. Hopefully you will find some resources to help you.

6. stillaweirdo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Haha, thanks. I'm a tough kid, so I'm pretty distanced from the abusive stuff that goes on. Very rarely do I let it affect me anymore. I just have one more year before I can move away to art school and then try for a career in the entertaining arts. So, don't worry too much about me! I've just been waiting a while to be able to post that on here. I felt like I owed it to myself. And I highly encourage you to try to sharpen your art skills in your free time. I find it so frustrating to hear when people love art, but feel like they can't create their own. Start with something small. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 17th May 2012 at 09:18 PM ----------

Oh, Alabama. I've been there a few times. And hated every minute of it. Tennessee isn't a lot better, but I live just outside of Knoxville, which is actually surprisingly liberal! Not as much as Memphis and Nashville, but we're getting there. I spend tons of time downtown, so I get to interact with a lot of the local LGBT culture. It's such an inviting place. I wish you luck in all your future comings-out! :newcolor: