1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out On Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by aeva, May 18, 2012.

1. aeva

I was wondering if you guys think about the timing of coming out on Facebook, if at all. I feel like people are pretty divided on this matter, so I'd love to get some opinions.

I'm out to my (incredibly accepting) parents and all of my friends, as well as a few of my cousins. I have no problem telling new people I meet about my sexuality if it comes up, unless there is an obvious reason not to. I am not, however, out to my extended family, mostly because a lot of them live overseas and I have therefore not had the opportunity to speak with them about it face to face (which would be preferable, but is simply unrealistic).

I already re-post a fair number of LGBT related things and belong to several gay rights groups, so it's not like I haven't hinted at it before, but I've never been explicit about it.

What do you guys think, is it time?

For the record, I would not be posting a status, I would simply be changing my 'interested in' section.

2. Lewis

I think if you're out to all of the people that matter (friends and family), I think it's probably time. It's probably not the be all and end all to change your interested section, but I guess it's that final stage of coming out. I would go for it, good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Ianthe

Do it. People, even family, that live overseas and hardly ever see you or talk to you can't possibly expect to be fully aware of everything that's going on in your life.

If there is someone that you are particularly close to, you might want to let them know individually ahead of time, but otherwise, I think you should just go ahead and change it.

4. JRNagoya

I did it in steps first starting with changing my interested in status to "men." I don't think people really look at that page too much unless you've just recently friended them. After the recent NC voting debacle, I came out fully on FB with a status about being gay and how disappointed I was in the voting results. I had nothing but positive feedback on it. It's been several weeks since and I've heard nothing bad, but at that point, I was already out to everyone who mattered. Also, as I don't care for much of my extended family, I have none of them on FB.

In the end, it's been very liberating. I can like gay-oriented groups, talk with my gay friends on FB, and attend their events. It's nice not having to censor myself or worry what others think. That's what kept me closeted for so long.

5. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have my interested in set to "women" on Facebook right now, however not all of my extended family knows about me being gay (though I don't care if they know). They all live up north and there's no way for me to tell them, except maybe over messaging. So, I think it's time for you. If you're out to everyone in the respect that you don't care who knows, then I think it's time to change your interested in. :3

6. It sounds like you're at a good spot in your life to add that to your Interested In section.
    Overall, I disapprove of the website, but if it works for you, then I think now is fine.