1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

told the boss (!)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by cara76, May 23, 2012.

1. cara76

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hey all, this did not work out as I expected at all. My boss is really conservative, and I had outed myself many days before in an e-mail...in which time I heard nothing. By the time she called me into her office, and told me to shut the door, I thought she was about to withdraw her recommendation for me/ask me to leave/? When I finally sat down, she got this really strange look on her face and then blurted out, "I'm gay too".
    whoa.
    It was kindof awesome. I thought...this is why I want to be out. I also feel a bit overwhelmed; she's asking for advice on coming out to her parents, dating, support groups, etc. I'd like to be supportive and I love that I can be a person for her...and I want to draw boundaries around what all she tells me as she gets her bearings. I'm not really sure I want to hear about her love life. Thoughts? Advice?

On a side note, I'm the only outish one in the office. I know I want to take the plunge and complete the process but I'm feeling anxious about being the token queer. How did you decide to take the step, if you have?

Thank you all for your wisdom!

2. Dominic

Dominic Guest

Congratulations on coming out to your boss! I like how she came out as gay to you. I think the only reason I came out of the closet to one of my friends is because I wanted someone to talk to about all this crap. Then I came out to the other three friends gradually.

Again, Congrats! :slight_smile:

3. dano22

dano22 Guest

I am sorry but that story was hilarious and i got started picturing my boss doing the same thing for no reason at all being that is she is not gay. Just go with the days as if you knew all along and don't make a big deal about it if she opens up to you just listen and I am sure she won't make you uncomfortable in anyway being that it is a work environment.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, that's a really magical thing! I would be scared as hell to come out to my boss, because I know that he and his right hand man are conservative, and his right hand man says really transphobic shit.

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Pardon my ignorance, but why'd you have to come out to your boss in the first place?
    Etiher way congratulations!

#5 Linthras, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012