1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to Two People Now

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by csocm, May 27, 2012.

1. csocm

So a little over a month ago, I came out to one of my best friends. For like two days straight I debated about doing it in my head and like planned out exactly what I would say. So I started texting my friend and brought up how I thought I was really similar to Santana from glee. She had heard me say it before so she was agreeing, you know the generic text talk. And then i was like, "there's another reason, Im gay." After that I started freaking out, I was like what the hell did i just do? But then she responded. It was great, she said how she sorta knew and that she didnt care, she still loved me and supported me. We don't really talk about it but its nice to know that I could talk to her if I needed to.

Yesterday I was texting one of my other best friends, I have known her since I was like two and we have stayed pretty close since. We got into some heavy topics, first we talked a little about how she sorta had an eating disorder earlier this year. Then we talked about last year when I was pretty depressed. So after that, I was like, "while we are having this intense conversation there is something that i want to tell you, but you probably already know." She texted me back saying okay go. So I told her that I was gay and she said how she wasnt surprised but she hadnt been positive on whether or not she thought I was. We talked for a little and it was really great, she said that she would support me and that she loves me.

It was definitely easier to come out the second time, but it was also just easier because of how the conversation had been. Will it continue to get easier as I come out to more people and is it better to tell people in person or other ways (ie, texting)?

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Congratulations.
    I would say it depends on you and on the person you want to come out to.
    Personally I like to come out to people face to face, that way I can see their response and know how they feel about it.
    But if you're shy for any reason or think the other person might take some time to deal with it, you could do it by texting.

3. Ianthe

I came out to my friends by texting. It was easier for me. And I knew they would be fine with it, and that my anxiety was about me, and not them. Usually, it's fine to come out in whatever way works for you. In some cases, though, you might want to think about what method would be best for a particular person.

It mostly gets easier, but some people are harder than others to come out to because of who they are, regardless of how many times we've done it before. But it's still easier than it would have been--I mean, there are some people that you might find impossible to come out to now, but after you've come out to some more people, you'll actually be able to do it.

Congratulations on coming out to your friends!

4. DanA

Ditto.

On my first day, I was out to three... by the same time the next day, it was 20 or more (I roll deep in the friend department). On the third day I was out to my sister. Most of my friends, I alerted using a text because I found out calling leads to a long conversation of "you know this doesn't change anything, are you okay, I'm here for you" which is wonderful to hear (and if there are any straight people reading this, you should do that) but, it's kinda funny, by the tenth person or so I was so tired hearing exact conversation that I used texts. Some people though, it was just mentally easier to use texts.

What a freaking relief, now I just need to tell my parents... can't do that through a text though :/

#4 DanA, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  5. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations!

Most of the people I came out to were by IM. It's a lot easier than doing it face-to-face in my opinion. The first time I came out face-to-face I almost had a panic attack, lol.