1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day 4: And that's everybody

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by DanA, May 28, 2012.

1. DanA

Hidey ho, gay-berinos.

And now the parents and sister know... and it's cool. I mean, my sister wasn't supportive at first because she didn't believe it. After some long talking, she came around.

My dad was hard to tell. I was over at their house, grilling burgers (like ya do on Memorial Day. Nothing honors service men like grilling mass produced, factory farmed meat) and I peeked my head in the house.

"Hey dad, can I show you something on the grill?"

My mom shouted, "what? Did you break something? We just got that!" She's so supportive of my abilities.

"Yeah, I'll be there in a bit," my dad waited for Jack Nicholson to stop yelling at Tom Cruise on TV before he moseyed out to the backyard. He slipped on the two sizes too small flip flops they keep by the back door for a reason I have yet to ascertain.

"Come over here," I was sitting on the side of the house. "Hey, so there's a reason I've been really depressed over the past... well pretty much since college ended. It's that..."

Now, hear is where the tears start.

"I'm gay dad."

Silence.

More silence.

Silencio

Stille (that's German for silence... I'm so clever).

"That's ok," he said.

Rainbows flew out of nipples and parted the skies as Nathan Lane, Harvey Fierstein, and Elton John looked down upon me from a glittery hot air balloon and showered my visage with feather boas and penis shaped Popsicles.

..... ok, I lied about that last part. My dad actually said, "I love you. You don't have to be depressed. Do you want me to tell mom?"

And he did, and everything worked out great! Man, I am so lucky.

Now just waiting for any possible blowback... I've only been out for four days, fully out for about 5 hours. Feels good.

#1 DanA, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your parents! That's fantastic! Glad for you that it went so well, and your dad and mum are supportive. :slight_smile:

And the Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise movie... one of the ones I like to watch over again! One of my fav scenes:

[YOUTUBE]5j2F4VcBmeo[/YOUTUBE]

3. DanA

Ugh, I wrote "hear" instead of "here"...

guys, ok, this is hard but I need to tell all of you something... about me... that is... um, hard to say... and... I'm actually illiterate, I've been faking being able to write this whole time.

askinkbnjdsnkbktrhndsonk vx kmfdne aolonawb noaiwv a o

But seriously, thanks for the kudos everybody on my coming out. It was because of this forum and all of you that gave me that extra push and I was able to come this far so quickly. It's been a very good weekend. Thanks all of you.

Also, to those who are still in the closet, I'm hear to help................ oh god dammit!!

#3 DanA, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. phliper12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    congrats! You are so lucky! I was actually watching that movie with my dad today lol. Great scene. I have really been in a depressed rut too since college ended but I'm not sure if it is all because the gay thing. I'm sure it is just combination of things (no firends, no job, etc.) but with all this free time, it is something I now think about ALL the time. Sigh... except I KNOW for a fact it won't go as well for me. Be grateful for the parents you have (which I'm sure you are), they really seem like amazing and understanding people.

5. DanA

See, I thought the same because I heard my parents berate gay people before and say things like "why are they like that," and my mom once said to my sister (who was going with a gay male friend to a gay bar) "be careful you don't get stabbed, some gay men might hate women." They also called Saugatuck, MI "Fag-atuck." But it's not like they said these things all the time. It was maybe once or twice but it stuck with me big time and drove me so deep into the closet, my coming out involved me getting violently angry and so depressed early in life that I almost died trying to commit suicide.

If there are any parents reading this, don't say things like this. You never know what will stick with your child through the years as they grow up and discover who they are.

But, how do you know? Are you parents not supportive of gay people in general or is it like my parents? Where they didn't hate gay people, they just weren't educated about them enough.

6. King

King Guest

It's like watching my little older brother come out :')
    Or is that weird since we've never messaged each other?
    Anyways... CONGRATS! I'm happy for you :grin:

7. DanA

Lol, we can be internet siblings :grin:

8. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Congratulations! Great to hear it went so well!

9. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Congrats it went well. I don't think I could ever pluck up the courage to do something like that even though my family would probably be okay with it. I'll probably be stuck in this closet forever.

Anyways. Congrats on coming out (!)

10. Lewis

It's brilliant that you've managed to come out to everyone in 4 days, I wish I could do that! You really have burnt the closet to the ground! :slight_smile:

Very inspiring.

11. DanA

I didn't think I could do it either, but when I came out to my girlfriend... it got a whole lot easier from there.

12. Warcraft22

Warcraft22 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats on coming out (!) I don't thing i would really be able to do that in 4 days, i've been comeing out very slowly to my friends

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! That's awesome!! I don't think that many people would have the guts to come out in 4 days.