1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day 5: Blowback

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by DanA, May 30, 2012.

1. DanA

*sigh*

I figured something like this would happen. My mom called me just now crying saying she was crushed and dad might not show it, but he's crushed too. I know they think it's disappointing but I tried to explain that I'm finally at peace with myself... which I haven't felt for a long long long time.

Just more crying.

From their perspective, I guess they wanted better for me... if "better" meant living a closeted life in every aspect that I would eventually self destruct to the point that I would turn into that Miami face-eating guy without the drugs. But... I know they wanted grandkids, I know they wanted a "normal" family... I just don't know what to say but I guess time will heal all wounds.

Oh well, I may lose this battle, but the war isn't over. Gonna be some hard times ahead but after what I went through, I welcome it. :thumbsup:

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't seem like they're having one of the more extreme reactions, so they will probably come around given time.
    As for grandchildren, if you ever want them, adoption and surrogacy are always options. They're not losing out on any family by you liking men, and I think it will only be a little time before they realize that.

3. RebelD

Like the positive attitude! Sorry it didn't go as well as you had hoped, but I'm sure they will make peace with it in time. They are probably shocked, but that will get better.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the others have said im sure they will come around. They have lost what they had imagined as the life they wanted for you, but in reality you could be straight and never have fulfilled their dreams, in time they will come to realise that whats important is that you are happy and being yourself and gay makes you happy.

5. jimL

Just give um time. Your right, time heals, well, most wounds. They are wounded right now because they had not planned on a gay son, just as all of us didn't plan on being gay. I hope you are as lucky as me in that my parents came around pretty quickly. Hang in there.

6. DanA

Hmmmm, now they're going around like nothing is wrong... I don't like it. It feels ominous.

I mean, my mom was all like "I think we need to go to counseling to get through this" and "it's not how I grew up."

To myself, I'm thinking "no shit it's not how you grew up."

Now, nothing. We talked, we chatted... not about the whole gay cloud that's hanging over us (which, btw, that gay cloud is in the shape of a triangle and it rains glitter and Shiraz).

It's quiet, toooooooo quiet. :confused:

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're working through the stages of loss. You've known about this forever, they've just heard about it a few days ago. It sounds like they're a little back and forth between bargaining and grief... and that's quite normal.

It will be fine. :slight_smile: