1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite response after coming out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Route466, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Route466

Route466 Guest

Since high school, I have reviewed movies and DVDs for a website dedicated to the horror genre, and when I decided to come out in 2009, I knew I would have to let everyone on the website know as well. I sent this message to my friend Steve, who I was especially close to as he was also responsible for editing my movie and DVD reviews.

Again, this was three years ago in the initial stages of the coming out process. Here's the message I sent him:

He replied that same day. Now, I've received some great reactions from friends and family, but his response will always be my favorite:

I might've been only twenty when I came out, but that's no excuse why I can't buy him a drink now. I owe him that much. :lol:

2. timo

Whoaahh that's quite a long response but it is a great one. Sounds like he's a great friend :icon_bigg I can relate to the gay joke stuff, people around me tend to make them quite a lot but I don't cate at all. Hell I even make them myself.

My favourite response so far was from my closest friend. It was a pretty short one but it was the best response I could wish for. I told him I'm gay and he was like
    which, a few seconds later, was followed by
    Awesome. He did ask a few questions but not before us toasting for coming out :grin:

3. squally89

When I came out no one got me beer lol
    All I got was "I already knew that" or "oh I am not surprised~"
    My family reaction was *sobbing* and "oh your just going through a phase, and I am going back to sleep" said my brother.

3 years later I can finally sort of talk about guys to my brother and sister~
    Now our conversation sounds like this with my sister (who's 28 seeing a 34 year old)
    Me - So you still talking to him?
    Sister - Yeah. I am (texting)
    Me - Are you talking to him right now?
    Sister - Yes
    Me - I dated a 34 year old too~
    Sister - Umm...Ew!

4. Nathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of my favorite reactions was probably from one of my friend, who we'll call Emily. I had already told a few of my closer friends, because I knew I could trust them and that they wouldn't tell anyone, but I hadn't told Emily yet, due to her being really gossipy, and not having mush regard for but one time while we were hanging out, one of my friends who already knew kept urging me tot tell her. When I finally did, she immediately screamed "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?! I THOUGHT WE WERE CLOSER THAN THIS!" And started pouting. When we got back to her house, she ran up to her parents and said "GUESS WHAT MOM AND DAD!" and we had to physically restrain her to stop her from telling them. I was kind of freaked out at the time but looking back it was pretty funny.

My other favorite reaction would be when I told the guy I was crushing on. His response was to tell me he was bi, and had a crush on me too. It was so great.

5. Debra

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I haven't had the occasion (ok, courage -_-') to come out many times, but one of those will probably stick with me for a while. I'd been trying (unsucessfully) to drop hints through private message on facebook to a classmate, whom I thought would be the most accepting. Turns out she didn't get much out of the hints (aside from my constant referring to rainbows) and I had to plain tell her after plenty of stalling.

She told me something along those lines (from memory, and translated from French) :
    You could have said it right away! For me, whether you say you like girls, or asian noodles, it's no big deal!

As I pointed out to her, I'd lived off asian noodles for most of that year, so that helped ease the pseudo tension that had built up (at least on my side)

6. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

"I love you too!"

Best. Response. Ever.

7. Ianthe

My favorite is when I just mention something in passing and someone is like: :eek:

And then they try really hard to hide it and pretend like they aren't feeling shocked--but they fail. :roflmao:

8. Oblivion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My favorite was my friends deciding to throw a party because it was 'too cute' that I was gay/bisexual (undecided) and told my best friend to turn gay so we could go out =3

9. anonymous1

After I told my sister she said,
    "Can I dye your hair rainbow?!!!"

10. Enaithor

When I was in Year 11, I started coming out to some of my closer friends (not only the closest but still pretty restricted) and pretty much all of them were just like, "Erm I've known this for the last 4 years lol"
    Basically, I'm the most obviously gay person in the entire universe.
    But one of them, even though she wasn't at all homophobic, just refused to believe me for an entire day, which is still a total mystery to me now...
    Then the next day she was just like, "oh my god I can so see it now aahh *hug*"

Just makes me laugh that it took her AN ENTIRE DAY to work out that I'm gay AFTER I told her!!

11. SMiLeitsme

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I told my mom and, of course, was stressing about it all day and she said "I've known for a really long time"
    I told my best friend and he was like "Like the last three guys you've been with weren't 'coming out' enough?"
    The ALL TIME BEST one was "Oh really, so I do still have a chance with you [wink/ass grab]" He was so beautiful, but a little too crazy for me.

12. ThatCoopKid

Haha. The funny part was that I just came out with my closest friend down here in Florida a week ago, and his response was "Really? I never would have guessed if you hadn't told me."

13. RealityCheck

I told a friend here and she would not believe me.

Me: I like guys, just thought you should know.
    Her: LOL, shut up you dork.
    Me: I'm serious. I'm gay.
    Her: STFU, LOL.
    Me: I've told you about the guy I'm talking to for months now.
    Her:What your imaginary friend?
    Me:He is real. I'm not making this shit up.
    Her:Boy you are so crazy.
    Me:You believe me don't you?
    Her. SSSUUURRREEE I do. You crack me up.

I don't see her that much so I guess when she sees me in public with him, it will sink in. She thinks I'm joking with her.

14. julia

My sister saying, "But what about Jake Gyllenhaal and Blaine (From Glee)?"

15. Snowy song

[ This requires a bit if background; sorry...] I'm a freshman in high school and I've been going to the GSA since September. The first people I came out to were the two heads of the club. There are only about a dozen people in the GSA, so we know each other pretty well. I'd been trying (and not quite getting up the courage) to come out at GSA for a few months (isn't that supposed to be the easiest place to do it??...I guess I'm just a wimp). We were talking about something random, and then there was an awkward silence in the conversation.
    Me (in tiny little squeaky voice from the corner of the room): "ummm, I just wanted to tell you guys that I'm gay".
    They started clapping:eusa_clap. It doesn't sound terribly exciting, but clapping is a pretty nice thing for a pair of totally freaked out ears.

16. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's great to hear your friend was so supportive! :slight_smile:

For those wanting to share and read more awesome responses, there is this awesome thread swimming around here if you want to take a look :slight_smile:

17. Stonkle

Out Status:
    Some people
    I told a close friend of mine that I was gay recently while completely wearing a straight face. She goes, "NICE!!" and then instantly double high-fives me, saying that I have good taste. XD

18. Ser Pounce

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My favorite response would have been by my best friend. I wasn't sure about his reaction at all, because he used to use "gay" (and the German equivalent) in a negative sense a lot and seemed to have a general aversion to the topic. And I remembered one or two homophobic comments. I was pretty desperate after a few years of this so in an all or nothing attempt I confronted him:

Me: i don't like girls...and i don't know what you think about that
    Him: what should I think about that? :wink: what do you expect?

Suffice to say I was amazed at how well he took it. And there seemed to be no shock whatsoever - he said he would never have guessed, but his positive reaction was instantaneous, telling me he respected me for coming out and feeling bad for stupid comments. He is super-supportive now.

A reaction from another friend I told today with the help of Mass Effect :grin:

Me: Do you remember asking me whom my Shepard dates? And how I told you he had to wait for Mass Effect 3?
    Him: Yes
    Me: Well, what happens in Mass Effect 3?
    Him: Reapers attack earth?
    Me: That too, but...romance options?
    Him: Err
    Him: Same sex romance?
    Me: Yep
    Him: So whom did you choose?

Took him some time to come up with that answer, but I liked how he didn't care in the least.
    Turns out his favorite uncle is gay, too. :wink:

19. farah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're friend's reply was great! ^^ I only came out to one person & she replied:
    I think that is the best response I would ever get, haha.

20. LisforLisa

I got this message form a truth is on facebook. I heard you came out..n I just wanted to say, that even though I don't know you, I'm extremely proud at how much courage you have. You're truly an inspiration:slight_smile: