1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

11 Months Ago

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Nightmaric, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Nightmaric

Eleven months ago I was closeted, getting out of a mundane relationship with a girl, scared, and confused. Now, I'm out for all intents and purposes (Facebook interested in, and close friends/family). I wish I was going to be saying something different than everyone else on here who came out. But, I won't be. My coming out has been safe as in I have yet to encounter anyone who has reacted negatively. I am extremely lucky. I just want others to know they aren't alone. I thought I would be alone, depressed, and insecure for the rest of my life. That's not happening to me and it won't happen to anyone unless they allow it to happen.

I want to th thank this website, it was one of two main things hat got me to feel safe wi myself. Another was a post secret project in school where I came out, secretly. It was for my sociology class and I actually wrote a letter to my teacher explaining who I was on the last day of school. I'll see her next year but I thought it was important to have my coming out come full circle.

I feel liberated and I'm ready to start giving back. I'm going to be the role model I never had. My friends, family, councillor, and you guys have been instrumental in me not giving up hope for my future. I'm eternally grateful for this support but I know not everyone has this network of support.

I'm determined to be a role model for closeted GBLTs at my school. I'm pretty well liked and people come to me for advice. I want to be the gay kid that goes to our school that anyone, can look up to. I feel like my school has had a lot of gay kids but none were ever really big leaders. They had their own little cliques or they were only there for a few things.

I want to be there for all of kids that I know will have a hard time dealing with this. I'm involved in many facets of my school and I. Want kids to reach out to me and ask for help if they need to. Also, I'm not going to let any intimidation get to me.

It sounds like a lot but I know I can do it. I'm not starting a GSA, not out of cowardice, I just don't have enough time, but I will be kinda like the go to guy to talk to. I've always been giving advice and I feel like I can really make a difference in this particular outlet, as I have gone thro it.

Again, I want to thank you guys. I'm excited to finally be open and not have to hide anymore.

Also I'm claiming the song 'The Fighter' by Gym Class Heroes as my coming out song. It's a great song, look it up. :slight_smile:

2. Cloudbreaker

This website has also helped me a lot. I have come a long, long way in the past nine months. From being in the closet to even myself, all the way to being pretty much completely okay with who I am and out to my parents, closest friends, and working on my siblings. And like you, I also want to be a good role model. I'm out of school now, so the ones I plan on being an example for are people like my coworkers, church members, and extended family. I think many of them have less than satisfactory opinions when it comes to people who are gay, so I think if I set a good example, it might really help to change their perspectives. I might face some negativity along the way, but I know I am strong enough to handle it now, thanks in large part to this site. Thank you EC!

P.S. I looked up your coming out song, The Fighter. You are right, it is a good song. I think I'll claim The Times they are a-changin' by Bob Dylan as mine. :wink:

3. Nightmaric

I think I heard that song in concert! I liked it! :slight_smile:

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome!! I'm glad to hear that you have come so far in 11 months. I think that it is a good idea to try to be a role model for other closeted students at your school. I'm sure that there are others there, they are just scared to come out because nobody else has. Good Luck!!

5. Nightmaric

Thanks! I'm sure ere are too. I mean, I was one of them. Haha!

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nightmaric, it's really fantastic and gratifying that you've taken the time to share your experience, AND that you're committed to giving back and helping out.

Please, please stick around here and help others. We really need input and feedback from our younger members who have come out to help other people around the same age who are also struggling.

And, as we move as an organization in the direction of making more connections with bricks-and-mortar programs (GSAs, LGBT centers, etc), having people like you who are working in their schools and communities will be really helpful.

7. rainbowfox

your decision is great, I hope the best for you :slight_smile:
    standing PROUD is something that all of us should do, this Campaign is for one our out most fundamental parts of identity. :slight_smile:
    Hope you he best :slight_smile: (*hug*)