1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to the first person

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Rose, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Rose

I came out to my best friend this morning. Aged 34. I spent a long time writing a letter, sent it by email and then sent an instant message alerting her to mail. She read it straight away and responded almost immediately with the most beautiful words. She was so honoured that I chose to share my truth with her. I feel very warm that she gave me such a loving response. I feel so supported. I am still anxious to speak to her. This will happen tonight or tomorrow. Anxious I think because I have been tight-lipped for so long. That is why I chose to write, just because I felt the time was right and I would have to wait so much longer to find the courage to use my voice. I have been moving towards this place for months now and this step feels like real progress. I'm exhausted but enjoying my first taste of relief!

2. lewis15

Congratulations! I remember when I came out to my first friend, and she accepted me, and it was the best feeling!

Don't worry about seeing her in person, it won't be different. I thought that every time I told a new friend, but it never was. :slight_smile: