1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They are proud of me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by madi, Jun 10, 2012.

1. madi

I had been hiding my feelings my whole life. I had always been attracted to girls and as a child I figured this was normal, but as I got older I learned that this was called being gay. I had crushes on boys and focused on those and even "dated" a few in elementary school. By middle school I still hadn't been kissed or even held a boys hand, but as puberty kicked in I started to think more and more about girls and developed crushes on a few too.
    I began to ask myself "am I a lesbian?", but pushed the thought away quickly. I had no problem with other people being gay. I figured it was such a small part of someone's character that it didn't matter. It was different when it was me though. It was scarier. I knew I wanted kids with the person I loved in the future. I wanted to create a child with them and I knew if I was lesbian I wouldn't be able to do that. Right after middle school a boy started talking to me though and would not leave me alone. He was messaging me and inviting me places and eventually calling me and talking to me for hours. I started to like this boy and ended up falling in love with him.
    Even then though I thought "am I just convincing myself because I don't want to be gay?". My question was answered shortly after we started dating though when he kissed me. It was magical. It felt right and amazing and I knew I liked boys. But I still fantasized about girls.
    So then my question became "am I bi?" Then I remembered that I had "experimented" with a friend of mine(female) in grade school before I knew about being gay or straight and how it felt right just like the kiss with my boyfriend did. And thinking back all of these things kept coming up in my mind like crushes I had that had been suppressed and dreams and fantasies about girls. I knew then that I am bi.
    I told my friend who is gay(male) first because I knew for sure he would accept me and also his best friend because I knew she would accept me too. I told my boyfriend after that and he was also accepting. For nearly two years after that though I struggled with how to tell my parents. My mom's best friend in high school was gay so I knew she would most likely accept me, but my dad I wasn't so sure about.
    Tonight I told them. I was sweating and shaking and telling myself not to cry. We were all sitting in the living room watching tv but I wasn't paying attention to the show. I was just rehearsing what I was going to say over and over again in my mind. I wanted to make sure I was able to say everything I needed to without being interrupted. I wanted them to understand why I was telling them and what it meant.
    I got about 3 words out and burst into tears. my mom grabbed my hand. I tried to choke them back so I could get my words out. I told them I had always had feelings for both sexes and that even if I never ended up in a relationship with a girl it was important to me that they knew. I didn't want to hide any part of myself from them anymore.
    My dad hugged me almost immediately after I was done talking. I was surprised and unbelievably happy. My mom hugged me after.
    She told me she didn't give a damn what my sexual orientation was and that it didn't change her love for me or how she viewed me as a person. They both said they were proud of me for telling them. This was not the reaction I expected at all. I was so unbelievably happy. I cried tears of joy and we all hugged for a very long time.
    I can't believe how amazing my parents are and how well they handled it. I feel so lucky to have been born into an accepting family and I feel so much better getting this off of my chest.There are still people I need to come out to. Family members, friends, etc. But having told my parents has lifted a huge weight off of my shoulders. I will sleep well tonight knowing that my parents love and accept every part of who I am.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations (!)

3. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Ianthe

Congratulations!
    (!!)(!):thewave:frowning2:!)(!!)

I'm so glad your parents were so amazing! And kudos for being so brave and telling them! They are right to be proud! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: