1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married, Gay - coming out seems impossible

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by maxx, Jun 10, 2012.

1. maxx

I'm 49 and have been attracted to men as long as I know. It's totally biological - I just naturally am attracted to men - as much as I wanted to deny it.

I dated a few girls in high school, lost my virginity at 16, dated a couple more women in university, then got married at 23. I loved my wife then and I continue to love her now - though it seems more of a strong friendship than a marriage. There was nothing disingenuous about my love for her - even though I had feelings for men that I had never acted on.

We have no children (we tried for a while, but it never happened naturally and we didn't want to make it a big deal), and though our sex life was good for the first few years, we haven't had sex of any kind in over 12 years (her choice - she seems completely uninterested in sex) - we don't talk about it any more.

Given the celibacy, and as I've gotten older, I've started thinking more about pursuing my attraction to men. I had my first gay sexual encounter a few years ago (at the age of 44), and have experimented off and on over the last couple of years - enough to know that I am indeed gay and enjoy gay sex. One small saving grace is that since I no longer have sex with my wife, I don't have to worry about any mistakes I make compromising her health - though of course that doesn't remove the guilt.

Not a good situation, and as I write this I wonder how I got here... one self-denial after another I guess. It seems to be a story of someone with a distinct lack of character - letting it go this long - yet in other dimensions of life I consider myself a loving, caring and supportive person. If only I could go back in time and show the courage at a young age that so many youth seem to have today. I envy them. I especially respect those that came out when I should have (in the 70's) when there was much more stigma attached to being gay.

If I have any advice for younger people - be true to who you are. By denying your true self, or trying to mold yourself to what you think others want you to be, you do yourself, and them, no favor - trust me. Each of us was born the way we were - with the feelings and attractions we have. Deny your nature and you start down the path of building lies on top of lies. We only get to go through life once - no do-overs. Be genuine in all aspects of your life.

Now I don't know what to do... How can I come out at 49? What would my wife say? What will friends & family say - given that I've been lying to them for 49 years? (though I guess the person I've been most dishonest with is myself) Won't my character be totally questionable given I've been lying about this so long? How can they trust me on anything else?

I've never talked about this with anyone - never even written a post about my situation before. I've completely wrestled with this by myself for 49 years and felt incredibly alone, but this community seems very supportive - so I hope you can in some small way empathize with my story.

Not sure if I'm asking for advice, support or just a sympathetic ear... I'm not sure what the future holds and whether I'll work up the courage to come out or not... Perhaps this is the first step...

Thanks for listening,
    "Max"

2. Swim2Fly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No prob! I'm going through something similar right now, though I definitely haven't navigated as far into life as you have. But I'm listening intently, especially to your advice about being true to who you are and what you like. Thanks for speaking out, and I bet that some of the older guys here will have some great advice to give you. All that I can say is that I would guess that most of your friends/family will be more sympathetic to your situation than you seem to expect. Be a little selfish and do this for yourself! Just try to do it in a way that respects everyone else.

I'd definitely say this is the first step toward something positive, so keep your chin up and continue to be a caring person!

3. unknownerror

I think this is a story that many of us here can find familiar, coming out at a much later point in our lives. I especially like the part that I bolded, but your post was really good especially for someone so new to this.

I'm sure we'll be here to listen and to help, but if you want my unsolicited advice, being true to yourself with everyone who is important to you is the only way to be truly happy

4. peanutbutter

This was written beautifully!(&&&)

5. maxx

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and support - they mean a lot.

One of the main things I'm struggling with is that I'm not even sure what I want... If I do come out to my wife, then what? Do I want us to stay together? Do I want to start living the lifestyle of a gay man? I just don't know... It all seems overwhelming. The only thing I do know is that I can't go on lying any more... I'm starting to feel like at least I have come out to myself - and that's a big step for me. Perhaps with time I'll be able to figure out the rest of it.

One thing I've learned from this community is that coming out is a process not an event. At least I've started that process now by admitting to myself that I'm gay - and that's okay.

Best,
    "Max"

6. insidehappy

hi maxx good luck to you but i had a question for you. i think there's always that story or post on here about a situation where you liked this guy and then you find out he has a girlfriend or he gets married and you think "ok, i guess he was straight after all" even though you see signs of flirting and in some ways you're hoping he was gay. sure most of the poeple are straight but i have always wondered what goes through the minds of the guy that is gay, does like you, is masculine, and you think he's flriting but then he ends up having a girlfriends, gets married, has children..etc. it makes you think that maybe you were delusional or just wishful thinking. i am sure that maybe you had crushes on guys when you were with your wife or with your girlfriend at the time. was there anything a guy could have done to make you be honest about how you felt about him? do you have any advice for people that are in situations where they really like someone and all signs point to them being liked back by the guy but that guy is "straight" because he has a girlfriend or moves on with a wife? any advice on the best way that you would have liked to be approached or talked to by a guy that may have been interested in your during the time when you weren't married but obviously deep in teh closet?

7. maxx

Hi Inside Happy,

Interesting question. I think in my case, since I wasn't even prepared to admit to myself that I was gay, if a male friend, acquaintance, etc. expressed any interest in me sexually I would have probably denied it that much more. In fact, the only way I've been able to come to terms with being gay is by having 'anonymous' experiences where I could focus on how I feel about being with a guy without simultaneously worrying about coming out at the same time.

So in my particular case, I would likely have tried to shut down any advances. But for others, an approach along the lines of "I know you probably aren't gay - but it's a crying shame, because you are totally my type. Let me know if you ever want to explore any feelings along those lines." I think these days most people would be flattered by the attention rather than having a homophobic reaction (at least I hope we've gotten there as a society). Good luck - I hope it works out for you.

Max

8. Rose

Dear Max,

I can empathise with you in a big way! Aged 34, I have come out to myself in the last year, and have asked similar questions to those in your post. How did I get to this point? Why have I not found the courage to accept myself earlier? I am still working on freeing myself from the guilt and shame of not coming out earlier. BUT I am starting to accept that for whatever reason, I had no choice but to deny my feelings, just I like now I feel I have no choice about coming out. For me that time has come.

You have taken a big step by posting here. You will know if/when it feels right to step forward some more. I find it so helpful and reassuring to read other people's stories. I can't believe how absolutely alone I was with my feelings for so many years, and now I learn that actually I am not alone. For me things are changing all the time. Only this weekend, I came out for the first time to my best friend. What is really helping me is to try to understand why I have needed to deny my feelings. For me, I think it happened because my adolescence was spent in a very turbulent household where my emotional needs were not met and I did not develop the ability to be kind to myself by being true to my feelings. I did not feel 'safe' enough and the best I could do at the time was to suppress these very scary feelings. It was nothing to do with tolerance or close-mindedness because I believe that when the time comes for me to tell them, my family will be accepting and supportive, but because at the time when I was growing up, there was too much else going on.

For me there is a lot more to explore, but it is helping me to forgive myself, which I hope will lead to full acceptance, and later, to pride.

I got to the stage a few months ago where I knew I would not be able to move forward any further by myself. I finally started therapy where I am able to look at my whole character and being. It is early days but I think it is working. Progress is being made anyway. There are some great videos on youtube about coming out. The "It gets better" campaign I find inspiring.

Like you I am so full of respect for those who manage to come out in their teens or early twenties at least. As for coming out at 49? I really think so what? What would you like for yourself at 59? 79? It is not too late. But take as long as you need, you will know when is the right time to take steps.

I only signed up on Friday, so am also very new here!

Take Care,

Ruthy

9. insidehappy

thanks maxmillian, this really helps and confirms a lot of things i was thinking about people that have been in your position. i like the "i know you're not gay but...." approach. it's kinda like "i know this is a longshot but hey you miss 100 percent of the baskets you never shoot at, so im going to go out on a limb and say...."

thanks so much.

10. maxx

Thanks, Ruthy - you are exactly right. One of the main issues I'm wrestling with is trying to forgive myself for not having had the courage to come out long ago. Why did I find it so hard to admit to myself and others? I think it will take time for me to find that forgiveness... I agree the 'It gets better' campaign is wonderful, and I find myself tearing up as I watch some of them...

And as you say, I still have many years ahead of me (I hope! (Unless my wife kills me)), but the thought of me going through the rest of my life denying who I am seems unacceptable... I'm glad there are forums like this with people going through similar struggles - it makes the journey seem less scary and more doable.

Best wishes as you work through your process - everyone here seems very supportive so I'm sure it will be a great resource for you. Hopefully one day I'll be able to share my coming out 'success' with others and help them through their own journeys. In the meantime, I think I need some more time to come to terms with it all. But hey, it all starts with the first few steps, right?

Max

11. Frustrated

Hi, Max. Well, I started having same sex feelings about three years ago....no, I started acknowledging my same sex attractions about three years ago (big difference, there!). I've struggled with the thought that I'm gay and began seeing a therapist a year ago. I planned on divorcing my husband because while I love him and we're good friends, there really was no marriage. Anyway, I was crazy afraid of him and one night, after we had already began discussing getting a divorce, I let it slip out that I wasn't attracted to guys sexually. He took it really well and I think he was much relieved that our lack of sex wasn't his fault.

I've been living separately now for three weeks and our divorce will be final at the end of July. I still miss him and feel the loss of his company, but know I did the right thing because I really can't be a wife to him. I can't fulfill his sexual needs at all.

Unlike you I don't have any experience with women and have now gotten to this strange place where I'm suddenly feeling a lot of internal homophobia. I feel sick, disgusting, and perverted for my same sex attractions. Where I once felt ready to embrace a gay lifestyle now I feel embarrassed by it. Right now I feel lost and confused about my sexuality but my gut reaction is that all this apprehension is me feeling guilty about not being able to be a "good wife" to my husband. I know that he still loves me and I feel guilty that I won't be there to take care of him the rest of his life. I blame my sexuality for destroying my marriage and that's why I'm pushing it aside right now.

Of course, all that is really crazy thinking and I have nothing to be ashamed of. Right now I am not in a good place but I am hopeful that with time and my therapist's help that I'll get over this bullshit and that eventually both me and my husband will be grateful that I was finally honest about who I am. I am hoping the same for you, as well.

#11 Frustrated, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  12. maxx

Dear Frustrated,

It's crazy the things we put ourselves through, isn't it? It makes me all the more want to recommend to younger people (teens, early twenties) to sort through these feelings before their lives get more complicated - as painful as these decisions are, they get more challenging over time.

As for having experience with the same sex, this was an important aspect of me coming out to myself. Until I had some sexual encounters I thought my feelings might somehow be misplaced. Once I had some experience it totally confirmed that I was gay (gay sex for me was a revelation - I wish I had done some experimenting long ago - before I was married - it would have given me much more confidence that I was gay - and I was hotter then too! :slight_smile:) Perhaps you can find some willing partners that will allow you to explore your newly discovered sexuality in a non-threatening/non-complicated way? I encourage you to find some way of exploring this (of course, stay safe) - I think it could be a revelation for you as well.

Best wishes for your journey - I'm sure you'll get to a point where all the emotional turmoil becomes a distant memory and is replaced with the pride of acknowledging who you were meant to be (that's where I hope I'll get to someday). I wish us both luck.

Max

13. insidehappy

isnt san fran the gay mecca for gays. you should have a plethora of resources

14. maxx

Yes - I've got to say that if you want to explore one's gay sexuality, it isn't difficult to find ways to do so in San Francisco :slight_smile:

15. Rose

Dear Frustrated,

Ending your relationship is massive. You will be experiencing grief and it is no wonder you are not in a good place. Try to be as kind as you can to yourself. It sounds like you are taking really positive action, by posting here for example, and seeing your therapist. I was in a ten year relationship with a man that ended nearly four years ago. It was only after 3 years that I was able to face my true feelings, so full respect for the progress you have made so far.

I understand the internal homophobia, and am definitely still dealing with this. I am starting to see signs of progress though and gradually becoming more comfortable with myself. So, through a combination of patience, time by taking positive action, it is possible to find pride. I am not there yet.

Keep posting! It is so helpful to me to know that I am not alone...

Ruthy

16. 55

Maxx, welcome to EC and the start of your new journey! I came out this past winter after a 35 year marriage and 3 kids! I'm not going to recount everything here. If you want to read about my process over the past few months, please read my threads.

Besides welcoming you, I just want to encourage you to find a counselor who can help you learn about yourself and how to take your next steps.

I lived many, many years in fear of the consequences of becoming authentic. Even though it's been difficult, I have to say my visions of what people's reactions would be - anger, disgust, and rejection - were in 95% of the cases not what their actual reactions were - understanding, empathy, and hugs. The other 5% are my ex in-laws so I can accept their current lack of understanding. Hopefully when my ex meets a man who can be the husband she deserves, they'll come around too.

Set yourself free!

17. EM68

Hi Max. Welcome to EC. It sounds like you have accepted that you are gay. That is the most important step. There is no time limit to coming out. I came out when I was in my late 30's. Like you I was afraid that I was coming out too late. The more I came out to people the less of an issue it became. One of the most important pieces of advice I got was that come out when you are comfortable and coming out is not a race. As far as feeling bad or guilty about not coming out sooner, try to let it go. When I was coming to terms with my sexuality, I felt the same way and to some extent it held me back a bit.

As far as you wife, you may want to seek some counseling for yourself and for both of you and your wife. I was never married but other members who were and experimented have said they wish they did not and advise not to or stop if you have because it adds another layer to coming out and feeling of betrayal to your wife.

You may want to stick around for a bit, read other's posts and threads. There are a number of older members on EC, and knowing you are not alone is a big help.

18. maxx

Thanks, 55 - I went back and read all your posts - you've had some very similar challenges to what I'm facing. I appreciate the support - it means a lot to know that I'm not the only person who has gone through this. I'm still coming to terms with coming out to myself and self-identifying as gay. It seems like I have good days and bad.

Totally disrupting our lives still seems a hard concept for me to wrap my head around. Can I justify upending my wife's world? What did she do to deserve this? It's my issue, so shouldn't I carry the burden of living with my original lack of courage and face the consequences? Didn't I make a commitment to her?

As I said, good days and bad... I still need some time to work through this... I would love to embrace my gayness if it didn't hurt others... but the guilt of hurting people I love over this seems to be selfish. I made my (straight) bed, shouldn't I have to lie in it? (Wow - hidden meanings in that one...)

Sigh.

EM68 & 55 - thanks both for the suggestion on seeking a counselor - I may do that. There are lots of feelings going on here and it will take some time to sort through them all.

My wife's parents are both deceased, but she has some good friends around her that could help her through this - once I actually come out to her (if?)

19. tom100

Hi Maxx,

Another newbie here in much the same position and mental agony. You're not alone.

I first thought this was some kind of mid-life crises manifestation - pull yourself together and get over it! But the feelings of general unease, dissatisfaction and loneliness even, just keep getting stronger.

I also have a lovely wife and cant cope with the thought of hurting her - total turmoil and no clear idea what to do.

Like you too, I cant believe how stupid and down right cowardly I was in my twenties in not exploring the gay side of me properly. I did almost come out back then, but a well meaning friend and my family pushed me back in. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Best wishes and good luck for your journey. Life is kinda crazy isn't it?

Tom

20. maxx

Hi Tom - welcome to EC. This seems to be a very supportive community - I'm sure we'll both get some good advice and needed support.

For me I think the timing is partially due to seeing my father get to his final days (he's 86) and realizing I don't want to go to my grave on this planet without anyone knowing the authentic me...

Do you think your wife suspects at all? That's something I've wondered about mine - but a few things she's said seem to indicate she doesn't suspect. I've been thinking about writing her a letter - probably more to let me get my thoughts and feelings down. I want to tell her that it isn't her fault - that my love for her was and still is real.

For you, what outcome do you think you actually want? Do you want to stay together somehow? I still wrestle with that... I know I want to stop lying about who I am, but I don't know what that means going forward... The idea of separation, divorce, etc. all seems quite scary (both for me and the impact on my wife).

And yes, life is crazy - more of my own making than anything else.

Best,
    Max