1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hints????

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Gazza123, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Hi

So I wondering if anyone has tried dropping hints to they parents, etc etc that they gay without actually telling them.

Is this a bad way of going about it instead of just coming out with "I'm gay"

How does one go about this?
    or
    Is it even possible to do this? :confused:

2. Bi As A Kite

Hi there,

if there are any bands/artists you particularly fancy, cover your walls with posters of them under the guise that you simply like their music.

Rainbow symbolism and generally ne'er showing any romantic or sexual enthusiasm towards the opposite gender might be a good 'un.

Good luck! (!)

3. Ianthe

I don't think it's a bad idea to drop hints prior to coming out. It's not bad for them to start thinking of it a little, wondering.

You should not depend on this as a means of coming out--people can be very stubborn about things they don't want to believe. Denial is powerful.

If you start dropping hints, be prepared for them to confront you. They might.

The first thing you can do is drop all behaviors designed to mislead people into thinking you are straight. I can't tell you what you do--probably a lot of stuff that you don't even know that's why you do it.

But you can also start doing things like talking about gay-related stuff all the time until it becomes obvious that you are thinking about it a lot, or put up posters of attractive men in your bedroom. Actually, "hints" can be as blatant as you want.

There is some concern with parents--how do you think your parents will respond to the idea that you are gay?

4. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

They'll be fine with it to tell you the truth. Might be a little surprised or they might already know. I don't know

But as they will be fine with it. I know that

5. Ianthe

In that case, it would probably be fine to just start integrating your sexuality into your life. Just stop lying about it and hiding it. Get more comfortable being yourself.

Be ready in case anyone asks, but also realize that they might not, and you might have to tell them.

6. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yeah. I suppose

I'm just in that phase where I intentionally hide without thinking/It's like automatic or something. Probably due to the years of denial, etc.

7. julia

For me I started to put up posters of some female celebrities half naked and started watching LGBT movies while they were in the house. I think by me watching "Imagine Me and You" so many times, they saw it coming haha.

Also you could talk about gay-related stuff, maybe even just bring up current issues in the U.S on gay marriage, I know Obama is doing some benefits for LGBT currently, you could bring that up.

Good luck :slight_smile:

8. Ianthe

Yes, that's why.

You don't have to do it all at once. Just start with small things, and work up to bigger ones.

Maybe you could start by having yourself initiate one conversation with someone you aren't out to about gay-related topics every day.

9. Cloudbreaker

I dropped hints to my sister, but I told her that I was dropping her hints, so she knew she was supposed to be guessing something.

10. eveninghush

In the UK generally speaking attitudes towards gays are good, so my parents will probably be fine with it, as will yours (which you clearly agree with above). So just telling them should be fine.

I'm also currently debating whether to drop hints. Gay marriage has been front page news recently (for The Times anyway) so I've been discussing this a lot around the house. And the Obama/Biden thing about supporting marriage. But we talk about politics quite a lot as a family. I'm not 100% consciously making the effort to bring up the issue, but I am still aware by continuously doing so it may give them the idea as to why I'm so interested in gay issues.

Personally I wouldn't stick up a poster of a semi-naked man. To me, that just seems like my mum would walk into the room and get a huge shock as if the wall had just shouted 'Your son is gay!' at her. But that's probably just me being crazy as per usual.

After all that rambling I don't really have a concrete answer. I guess just telling them involves less calculating as to how often you should drop hints and how blatant they should be etc.

Only if you did not know your parents would be fine with it would I drop hints. So they could get used to the idea and start mulling it over.

Oh, and one last thing: I'm a very masculine guy who does not fit the stereotype so my parents will most likely be shocked. If you play a lot of sport, have dated several girls etc. so don't necessarily fit the stereotype, hints can also be good to lessen the shock factor when you tell them.

I'm so succinct aren't I! Sorry, hope you find some sense in my rambling.

11. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yeah. I found sense in your ramblings :lol:

And wouldn't put a poster up of a semi-naked guy because, for the reason you said, and also because I don't want to really. I've got my room the way I want it and no semi-naked guy poster is gonna mess that up :lol:

12. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I don't know if this counts but I used to have a few Lady GaGa posters up before I changed my room around and now I can't have any up because I don't have the space, although I still have a few Lady GaGa things up and her music is mainly what I listen to.

Now I know Lady GaGa and Gay guys shouldn't be the stereotype but I would have thought this could be a hint. Anyways another thing is I collect a lot of dvds/blu rays and I have recently been collecting disney dvds/blurays.

Now I know, again, that disney and gay shouldn't be stereotyped as I myself know a few straight people who like disney films but I digress.

Could these be considered hints.

I know I maybe stretching a bit far with them but these I things I do without realising they maybe hints so was just wondering if they were

If all this makes sense to you then yay