1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to My Parents!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Nodnarb, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Nodnarb

Well...I did it. I came out to my parents. I hadn't planned it for today, or even any time soon, but I did it. I'm just so glad I finally did it.

It all started because my mom and I got into a big fight this morning. She was freaking out about me spending too much time on the Internet, not telling her about school and my friends and stuff as much, and she said she was "tired of the secrets" and "feared the worst". I told her to shut up and calm down and that I would talk to her and dad about something important later, when she was calm. She wasn't happy but went into the living room and started watching TV. I decided to take a shower so I could sort out what I was thinking and what I was going to say.

After I took the shower I went into my room and sat there still trying to figure out what to say. Then my dad walks in and sits down on my bed and asks what is going on, and tells me that I can tell him anything. I just sat there for awhile, and then I told him to go get mom. She came in and they started asking questions.

"What is going on, is there something you want to tell us?"
    "Obviously"

"Is it something important?"
    "Yeah..."

"Is it bad, or what is it?"
    "Its only bad if you make it that way."

"What is it?(they were getting frustrated)Is it like...life changing?"
    "Well...Yeah."

And there I kind of broke down and started crying. And my dad says he has no clue what I could be talking about, and we all kind of laugh. And we just sat there for a moment, and finally my mom just says "You're...gay?" I said "Yes" and starting crying again and my dad hugged me and started crying too and said everything was alright and that they supported me in whatever I did(they said that like three times...). After I had finished crying, they asked a few more questions.

"How long have you known?"
    "I don't know...a long time. But I didn't admit it until lately."

"Are you sure?"
    "Yes"

"How long have you known?"
    "Hey, didn't you ask me this already?"

After that they just kind of repeated the same things about being supportive and still loving me no matter what. Then dad said, "You know grandma(his mother)will be fine, and grandpa may say some things, but he will be too." I said I knew and then mom says "My mom will freak." And I said I knew that too. Then they asked me if we should tell my sister, and I just said that I didn't know what to do.

I learned that my grandpa committed suicide after my grandma had an affair, and that was what mom ment by "fearing the worst." I told her I would never, ever do that, no matter how bad things were. When we started talking about grandpa, that was the first time through this whole thing that mom cried. And can't believe how hard that must of been on her when she was little....

After that dad said that there were rumors that my cousin Brenda "is one too". Apperently he is having trouble using the words gay or lesbian. Anyways, he said that she is roommates with a girl and supposedly they are a couple. He said he will try to figure out if the rumors are true so maybe I'll have somebody in my own family to talk to about it.

After that the conversation kind of drifted off and dad and I started talking about football and I started complaining about the dust all over my room. Eventually we all left and went on with whatever we were doing. My sister didn't ask any questions about why we were in my room for almost an hour, so I guess that was good. I don't know whether or not to tell her yet...

SOOOO...I'm out to my parents! YAY!(!) I guess that was a really long post, but I'm just so happy and glad its over that I couldn't help but write a lot. I am so glad that they were so supportive and are fine with it, eventhough I knew all along that they would be. I couldn't believe how understanding they were. They kept saying "You're going to hear a lot of horrible things and you're going to have to be strong." I told them I knew and I am strong. I already feel closer to them and I'm just so excited to finally have gotten this weight off my shoulders.

They are just such amazing parents and I love them SO much.

2. wickedboi

lol sounds like it went well :slight_smile:
    Congrats

3. nisomer

great story and really, congrats. :eusa_clap

4. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

That is great!!!Congrats on coming out and having such supporting and understanding parents!(*hug*)

5. Sam

Sam

Congrats! I'm so happy that your parents are so supportive.

6. membrain

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's so great! :eusa_danc (!) Go Dylan! It's great that your parents are so supportive as well.

7. Jinx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yay!! :eusa_clap Congrats on coming out. I'm glad to hear that they are so loving and supportive. Always nice. As far as your sister goes, I told my two younger sisters first. It was much easier then telling my parents. They were cool with it and easy to talk to. I wish you the best! :thumbsup:

8. JSG

JSG Guest

That was a great coming out story !!
    You're parents are awesome, I'm sooo happy for you !
    (*hug*)

9. CelebrityHead

Fantastic. You have awesome parents and obviously you're extremely grateful for their tremendous support. I loved reading this story! I think I love your parents too after reading that! :icon_wink

10. kcl91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    wow congrats man.....u have amazing parents. Happy they support u!!!

Now go celebrate xxx

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    What a great story and so inspirirational for those still in the closet! Thanks for sharing. I laughed when your Dad said Brenda "is one too". He'll get used to saying it soon.

12. iPieman

Well done, Dylan. It really is an inspirational story.

13. Jim1454

What a great story! It was very touching - I got goose bumps reading it! Thanks for sharing it.

14. biisme

that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!! i'm sooooooooo happy for you!!!!!!!

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

He said it better than I could. That's wonderful, thanks for sharing. :icon_bigg

16. Grof142007

grats on coming out your sister should be 2 bad

17. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's truly awesome! It's going to be great to have your parents there for whatever may come.

18. Astaroth

Woohoo! Congrats on the wonderful coming-out! I'm just hoping my parents take it half as well. :icon_bigg

19. Nodnarb

Oh, I forgot to do this in my first post, but I really want to thank everyone here at EC. Reading the other coming out stories and all the support here helped give me the strength to tell my parents. Without EC, I know I could not have done it. The past month or so has really changed everything, and I think most(if not all)of the changes have been good. I'm so glad I found this site and met all of you great people!

So thanks everyone!

20. Hollywood

Awwww congrats! :slight_smile: