1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

and I did it... XD my family, my friends, Facebook, anyone else who asks... I'm OUT!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Caoimhe Fayre, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Caoimhe Fayre

so about two weekends ago, I came out to my mother via Facebook chat...

I told her I needed to talk to her about something important, could I come over to visit for an hour and she said she was too busy with work, could I wait for a week or two.

I thought about it and said, no, if I don't say it I never will.

and then I just said it. and she didn't really react, except to say "oh, how does that effect you being Catholic?"

------------------

fast-forward to this morning. I have one friend trying to encourage me to participate in an campaign against Bill 13 (forcing publicly funded schools to allow GSAs) and I have other friends trying to message me via the wrong FB account (I have one mostly OUT account and one that I've abandoned since I left Courage).

so I went onto my old FB account, thinking, this is stupid. I'll keep the friends who want to stay friends and cut my losses with the rest. so I posted:

the response has been phenomenal. I've had a few e-mailed messages from more conservative Catholic friends offering to pray for me, suggesting I read this book or that book by various ex-gay authors, hoping to change my mind - I've ignored those so far, not sure how to respond or if I even should.

for the most part, I've had family and friends being extremely supportive. a few other Catholics have e-mailed me to come out to me, and to let me know that they support me and are proud of me, and understand how hard it is to reconcile faith and sexuality.

and the best, I've had a few old friends from Courage e-mail me to let me know that they have quit Courage too, and that they too saw how unhealthy ex-gay thinking patterns are, and they are glad to see me healing and they are healing too.

anyway. wow what a day. I never imagined, when I posted that this morning, that it would interfere with my concentration in classes all day long - but it kind of did.

OMG. I'm out of the closet.

so, um... now what?

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: and I did it... XD my family, my friends, Facebook, anyone else who asks... I'm O

lol

I rememeber when I finally came out I was a little disappointed there wasn't a parade, or a t least cupcakes. But what do you now? Like your life out of the closet. Check out hotties go on dates. Or just enjoy the freedom of being out.

Congrats

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: and I did it... XD my family, my friends, Facebook, anyone else who asks... I'm O

That's awesome!! Congrats!! I'm Glad to hear that you have been having mostly positive reactions. I know that some religious people can be highly homophobic, so it took a lot of guts to come out to them.

4. csocm

that's so cool. although i am only out to a couple of people its sorta like, "okay what do i do now?".

5. Caoimhe Fayre

thanks XD

apparently now I have to bite my tongue and not enter into debate with the people who are warning me of hellfire, or trying to claim that Courage is not about changing orientation (*sarcasm*just about using 12 steps to repress it, and that's totally different, really... and that's why we never heard about NARTH, or JiM retreats, or Exodus conferences, and that's why we never used ex-gay lingo... because we weren't really ex-gay, we were just celibate heterosexuals who primarily experience same sex attraction... *end sarcasm*)

and why am I debating the naysayers and haters when I've overall had such a positive response. 19 likes and 17 comments with only three comments being negative... and who do I discuss with? the negative three. what kind of an idiot am I? I should just delete their condescending comments and go back to crowing at what wonderful family and friends I have.

the PMs have been more half and half, though...

it's hardest when they clearly mean well and love me, but they think I'm going to hell or need extra prayers or am somehow now a bad Catholic... I used to think the same way, I can't judge them for it, I can't even really get angry over it, just upset and hurt...

but why am I focusing on this? why is it I still hear the haters over the ones who love me?

6. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Congrats on taking that first step! I once read something like "Some people will criticize you regardless - might as well have them disagree with who you are rather than some image of someone you're not"... probably not doing the author justice at 4am but I thought it was a neat perspective on the fact no matter what you say or do, some people won't agree. Sounds like overall you have quite a few supporters to help you through this transition. I suppose you could give the negative ones some of their own medicine and answer that you are praying very hard for them that God takes away their bigotry, but that's just my inner sarcasm taking over :wink:. The one thing I found once i came out to just a few people, is that while I still worry about the reaction of those still on the "to tell list", the overall fear and worry about coming out in general is pretty much lifted.