1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My (ex)Bestfriend's reaction.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ashlikeswhales, Jun 19, 2012.

1. ashlikeswhales

Out Status:
    All but family
    To start this out I've known i was bisexual for about two years now, and i haven't grown out of liking both girls and boys so i know that it wasn't just a stage. I came out gradually over time. First i told my friends states away, then i went to my 1st period and 6th period, and then came out to everyone, but one person and my family. My family still does not know and i plan on telling them once I find a good girlfriend. I couldn't tell my best friend because she's homophobic. It's quite sad actually, and it pisses me off when she talks bad about my lesbian friends. I went through with her for two years keeping my sexuality a secret, not wanting to loose my bestfriend. Her and I got into a fight so i told our mutual friend (I feel like Facebook, lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) to tell her i was bisexual. I don't think she ever did because i didnt hear any shit from Taylor(my ex bestfriend). Then she went to Colorado to visit some friends, that's when i told her friends that i was bisexual. I believe they were the ones that told her. A few weeks after she got back we got into a verbal fight and this is what she said, "At least I'm straight, what a disgrace you've put upon your family." I told her to stop being a Homophobe and grow up that she was acting like a kindergartener. We haven't spoken since she blocked my number, lol.

2. Calico

Some people don't make good friends, and the ones that do will stick by you no matter what. Her homophobia is her problem and she needs to learn how to get over it.

3. Just Passing

Sounds like she wasn't worth being your friend if she said something like that to your face. I'm not entirely against homophobia, but that is one of the worst possible things a person could say.

Sorry to hear about it, but you will find people who won't automatically disown you after years of friendship. Maybe in time, your friend will realise the impact of what she's said and apologise, but that's only if she learns how to.

4. farah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For a best friend to just completely cut you off is hard. Did she atleast try to talk to you about it? You know, ask you questions & stuff? I say be glad you got it over with.

5. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Like others of said, for a best friend to ignore you and completely cut you off well... she obviously wasn't the best friend you thought she was. On bright side though it was probably better she knew about your sexuality and then stay her friend and not tell her.

It's just a shame shouldn't couldn't accept you for you because as we all know, our sexuality doesn't change our personality as so many of these homophobic people seem to think it does

6. im not changing

if she cant accept who you are shes not a good friend :slight_smile:

7. Waffles

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ( .w.)

Stay strong, girl!

8. ashlikeswhales

Out Status:
    All but family
    No she did not even try to talk to me about it, she just kept bringing it up as if it were meant to insult me. .-.

9. sguyc

Drop that shit like its hot. Millions of other people out there to meet.

10. ProLevel

I second that. I know its hard to loose a friend but she never really was one if she can't accept you now.
    Although, if you really want her back, you could try:
    A. Talking with her friends (i.e having them convince her your still you)
    B. Getting connections back (talking to her more/again)
    C. Talking to her parents if they are not homophobic

Just some suggestions =)
    Good luck

11. Ascension

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Walk out of the friendship, and she will be the one ending on the losing side.

As I begin to come out to more and more people, although I have not had outright rejection from friends, you can tell some friends take it differently from others. They try to be polite to me at first (i.e. pretend to be alright with the whole situation) and gradually pushing you away. I used to feel bad for these people and question myself where I have gone wrong. But now that I know I have a good base of friends who would stick to me no matter what, those pretentious individuals really don't have a place in my heart, and soon your emotions towards them go away.