1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

came out on tumblr - kinda

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by csocm, Jun 22, 2012.

1. csocm

I got a tumblr not too long ago (like a couple of months) and I have gotten into it a lot. I only have like 20 followers and I only know two of them (i have come out to both of them). So i put in the page about me how I am "Lebanese". Its a glee reference and since most of my stuff on tumblr is glee related, people can probably figure it out. The thing is now i am a little paranoid that one of my other cousins will read it. I don't know why because I don't think I have given my tumblr to like anyone else in my family and even then they probably wouldn't look because they know that it will be filled with glee stuff.

I dont really mind that my followers know because they can probably guess with all the pics I reblog of like heather and naya in like bikinis and stuff similar to that. I have debated about taking it off of tumblr but I feel like writing that was a huge step and taking it down is just an even bigger step back, like i am ashamed that i am gay. Which I am not.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Is it possible for someone who knows you who stumbles across your blog randomly to figure out from the description that you're the one posting? If not, you probably don't have to worry, as long as you're careful who you share your URL with.

As for taking it down being a step back, there's a difference between being proud enough to say that you're GLBT and knowing when it might not be in your best interests to do so. If there's a real chance your cousins might see your blog and figure out what "Lebanese" means, and if you aren't ready to come out to them, there's no shame in taking it down.

In the end, do whatever makes you more comfortable.

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats, I love the freedom of being totally out online. It's understandable if you want to take it off, but I doubt if anyone else will see it. :slight_smile:

4. congrats on coming out!

you say youre not into tumblr much, but there is a maaassive big lgbt community on tumblr if you havent recognised already. search lgbt/lgbtq in the search bar and you can find an awful lot of gay support blogs to follow.

i wish i could give you links to help you out, but alas i would break the rules.

but happy tumbling :slight_smile:

5. Ridiculous

...since when were there ever straight people on Tumblr? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You can link to stuff, you just can't link to your own personal stuff. i.e. don't link to your own tumblr (or anyone else's here).