1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another pleasent little victory

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by NickD, Jun 22, 2012.

1. NickD

So if you read my previous post, you would know that I was at my brother's bachelor party last Saturday. Although I'm gay, it was still a good time. So one of his friends (and somewhere between an acquaintance and a good friend for me) was there as well. After the night wore on, and he had a fair amount of beers and boobs in his face, he began saying how cool he thought I was for coming out. That he really respected me for being who I am despite the brothers I had (though I do disagree with this statement, it was still nice to hear). He then went on to say that no one cares about my orientation and that he was just proud of me.

This came as a shocker mostly because we are not incredibly close. But I do believe in "the truth of the drink" as they say. He looked me in the eye and shook my hand and reiterated how cool he thought it was. It was funny too because "faggot" was a common insult for him (not seriously of course, just part of the vernacular) and I noticed he started so many good-natured insults intending to call someone a faggot, but he stopped himself at the last minute each time, looking at me to make sure I wasn't offended. It was actually really cute.

So I guess the moral of the story is that people will surprise you. So many of us are so terrified of the negative reactions that we may get that we completely overlook the positive ones that may come of it. So all of you that are scared, maintain high hopes. People will surprise you in more ways than one.

Nick

2. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good story, it's always great to hear of someone making improvements on themselves if they have homophobic tendencies. Hopefully he'll keep it up and not just act this way around you.